The new garrysmod.org

Author Topic: The new garrysmod.org  (Read 783 times)

garrysmods.org is a new repository of Garry's Mod downloads, created as a successor to garrysmod.org and a great alternative to the Workshop for those who like customisation, visibility, and tinkering.

The garrysmod.org site was accidentally deleted a few months ago and was a great resource for content as well as learning. With lots of commercial script sites popping up, I saw the opportunity to bring back and improve upon a classic, with no financial burdens on uploaders or downloaders. The workshop creates a hurdle for people who want to download and configure or tinker easily.

Garry has very kindly agreed to point the http://garrysmod.org domain at the site, despite his feeling that a site like this is no longer required (but acknowledges that a lot of people would disagree with that)!

The site has been created to allow for free uploading and downloading of Garry’s Mod content. All files are hosted on S3 and are a one click download. I’m willing to absorb hosting costs unless it becomes unmanageable at which point I’ll look to the community for assistance on that.

Some new features include: A fresh, modern design. Downloads are grouped into types so you don’t see dupes or saves if you’re looking for models etc. There’s also the ability to follow other users to see their activity on the site. Descriptions can use BBCode to improve formatting, and can also embed YouTube videos directly. A throwback to the classic site is download buttons like the one below.

Wares/leaks/malicious/other inappropriate files are not allowed and will be removed, and there are a couple of rules regarding uploads. There are automatic warnings for any downloads containing potentially malicious files like dll’s and exes. Reporting links are in place to get inappropriate files removed. I will be looking for a few moderators to help manage the site, but please do not contact me about this, I'll look for moderators as demand requires.

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD ALL OF YOUR ADDONS THAT YOU DID NOT CREATE YOURSELF. Give the original author's time to upload their own work, and fill in the blanks after some time has passed.

It would also be hugely beneficial to all involved if only working addons were uploaded and not old broken code.

The site is now online at https://garrysmods.org, with a redirect coming soon from garrysmod.org. There will probably be a few little bugs, so feel free to either use the contact form or this thread to report them.

The visuals feel like they're a bit too big and cluttered, and apparently the site does not work well on mobile devices currently (they plan to fix that though), but this seems like a pretty good replacement no less

While i think there are people who have managed to archive quite a bit of the original site, i think it'll be quite some time before this site becomes as full of content and as popular as it once was

Also, if the site is too bright, you can sign in with your Steam account, go to the settings on the top right and enable the setting for dark mode which turns all the white into dark gray

Finally, it's back!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:51:50 PM by SpongeCraft1212 »

Kinda empty right now. But i'm sure it'll fill up soon enough.