Author Topic: Making a hat in blender  (Read 1742 times)

So I recently downloaded blender 2.7 and blender 2.49b (the one demian gave)
and I finished the model, it is a hat meant for jakeblade and boodals hatmod
I also used this as reference for the head http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=199427.0

so a friend of mine told me to export from 2.7 as a .obj file, to then import in 2.49
but blender 2.49 wont open .obj files, it doesnt have the option http://i.imgur.com/do5ShAz.png

and now I got my doubts
1- Is the head I based off the correct size?
2- how do I get the 2.7 model to the 2.49?
3- when I get to dts export, how can I know if my hat will work with the hatmod?
4- will it be positioned correctly? if not, how can I fix it?

as you can see I am new to blender and add ons and everything
so I need help

In case you are wondering which hat is it

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:10:50 PM by Checko2100 »

As far as the Hatmod side of things go, check out the included How to make hats.txt:

Code: [Select]
How to add hats

Easy method:
Stick the model and all the textures in a zip named "HatMod_*" where * can be whatever you like. Put the zip in the Add-ons folder. The .dts file name will be used as the hats ingame name.

Organized method:
The easy method will work fine, however you can put each hat in a seperate folder within the zip to keep it more organized. In this case, the name of the folder will be the hat's ingame name.

Configuring:
If you place a .txt document with the .dts file with the same name as the hat (Easy) or "config.txt" (Organized), it will be read for the following:
offset x y z: Offsets the hat in 3rd person.
minVer x: Makes the hat not load unless this version (or above) of HatMod is used. Use this if you are using a new config option, and the hat does not work without it.
eyeOffset x y z: Offsets the hat in 1st person. Default is 0 0 -1000 (so you cant see it). Added in v2.

So to adjust the offset of the model, use the text file, and just adjust it until it looks fine.

oh I knew I saw a how to make hats explanation before
but I thought it was on a hatmods topic

edit:
also, in the txt files, does the offset has to take a format? or I simply put it like this

offset x y z
eyeoffset x y z
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:15:20 PM by Checko2100 »

oks I got it correctly positioned

the colors are screwed up tho
I will get a friend fix them

thanks boodals

I will let the topic open just in case I need it later

Blender 2.49 can import obj. You just don't have any of the import scripts, it looks like.

Blender 2.49 can import obj. You just don't have any of the import scripts, it looks like.
I downloaded the blender 2.49 demian gave
and the dts exporter, however I copied all files, yet dts exportion doesnt appear

I downloaded the blender 2.49 demian gave
and the dts exporter, however I copied all files, yet dts exportion doesnt appear

Try downloading MS3D and export it from there. It has a built in DTS exporter.

I did, the one demian also gave

but it wont appear, no matter if I download from here, or from another place and install the dts exporter separetly