$160 to spend on new computer stuff

Author Topic: $160 to spend on new computer stuff  (Read 963 times)

So, I've got $160 to blow on whatever. GTA V is coming out tomorrow, and I've got a GTX 750 Ti... so I'm not worried that I couldn't run it, but I can afford a second 750 Ti so I can take advantage of SLI for future games and maybe dual monitors.

However, I just moved across town, and for some loving reason, my monitor is all scratched up. Here's a picture of the damage. It's not too horrible, but it's still a nuisance, and it's definitely enough to get me to consider upgrading. It's an old monitor anyway, so what I was thinking was that I could purchase a new monitor and use this one for Skype or something while I run games on the other.

... Yet at the same time, my keyboard is old, dirty, and a piece of stuff Dell. So, I need a new one of those too. There's a sale on a mechanical keyboard for blue switches in 10 minutes on Newegg, but I don't know how cheap it's going to be yet, and I've never heard of the brand before.

I'm also using an HP mouse that's gotten really old. My years of clicking are beginning to make the mouse unresponsive. Not to mention, it's slow as hell and not very precise, so that needs an upgrade.

So, my current options are as follows:

• Second GTX 750 Ti
  • New monitor
  • New mouse
  • New keyboard

All within the $160 range, if possible. I know the monitor may be a bit difficult to find a good quality part for that price, but hell, I'm tired of this one. Any suggestions? Go ahead and shill your current parts, I'm willing to listen. If you think I should spend my money on something else for my computer, go ahead and shoot.

Oh, another note. Next Saturday I'll have an extra $100, totaling up to $260, if I work a wedding. So I'll take monitor, mouse, and keyboard suggestions in the $160 - $260 range as well. Thanks in advance.

clean your keyboard. hold it keys down and shake it out over a garbage can, then run a disinfectant wipe over it while it's unplugged.

i've cleaned it, i can't stand dirty keyboards. i guess what i mean by dirty is that it's faded and just looks old.

get a new mechanical keyboard and a new mouse those are more important

i've cleaned it, i can't stand dirty keyboards. i guess what i mean by dirty is that it's faded and just looks old.
oh lol. i used to have an ancient beige one that worked just fine up until my cat spilled water on it

oh lol. i used to have an ancient beige one that worked just fine up until my cat spilled water on it
when i'm not using my compaq i'm using my good ol Dell QuietKey from 1994

that's what i'm kind of leaning towards right now. the scratches on my monitor are only on the right side and none are that big, but there are a few dead pixels.. ugh

off topic but
So, I've got $160 to blow on whatever
blow on whatever
gaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

OT: Second GTX 750 Ti.
do eet.

Why would he get a keyboard from the 15th century

when i'm not using my compaq i'm using my good ol Dell QuietKey from 1994
wo my old keyboard was a compaq and my new one is a dell

Why would he get a keyboard from the 15th century
i like the noises and the feedback that the clicky keys make. i struggle to type on the really soft keyboards that the school has.

i like the noises and the feedback that the clicky keys make. i struggle to type on the really soft keyboards that the school has.
i do too. i really want some cherry mx blues, but i heard double tapping with them was difficult

Bumping this a bit...

Double check that the 750 Ti that you have is capable of SLI. I don't recall that GPU being able to, but I could be wrong. Also make sure your motherboard can support SLI.

Don't put money into a new keyboard or GPU, fix the broken/malfunctioning stuff first, like the monitor and mouse. You should be able to afford both with $160.

Here's a good mouse if you're interested

It'd be smarter to buy a new monitor and a simple but reliable Logitech mouse though

honestly forget the GPU, if you can still play games at reasonable framerates, there's no reason to waste your smaller budget just for a minute performance bump