Freedom of Speech infringement at my school?

Poll

Was the punishment of my friend justified?

Yes, absolutely.
11 (12.2%)
Maybe, but not to that extent.
21 (23.3%)
He should not have been punished.
58 (64.4%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: Freedom of Speech infringement at my school?  (Read 5974 times)

posters have rights too you know

*violent nationalism intensifies*

Discrimination like racism, loveism, orientation discrimation, stuff like that really shouldn't be tolerated at all in schools.
this is where freedom of speech comes in

No need to be an starfish; my point still stands. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech because nobody was arrested. Nobodies rights have been violated.
This is irreverent. The school does not have the right to violate freedom of speech unless it is disruptive (for example, screaming "FIRE!" for no reason). The school is a government entity and thus is held to the same standards as all government entities.You have freedom of speech in school. Whether you were arrested or not doesn't matter-- punishment because of opinion falls under the same category. It's like saying "Schools are allowed to give black kids bad grades because they didn't arrest them".

A bunch of kids at my school have confederate flag jackets/iphone cases. I find it repulsive but nobody is questioning their right to have them.

QIA?
Ask the SJW's
Your school sounds pretty awesome. At my school they have huge banners saying "TRUST IN GOD" in the hallways. I mentioned it to a teacher once and they were like "uh it doesn't say the christian god so you can interpret it however you want." It's a public school.

We recently had a pro-abstinence assembly teaching the values of waiting till marriage to have love.

edit: Was gonna make a comment about the Oklahoma School System but then I saw we are both from Oklahoma. That's pretty surprising.
I too go to public school, surprisingly I guess.
the medium isn't why it has nothing to do with freedom of speech
Not necessarily the legal right, but perhaps the coveted concept.

ya how dare ANYONE try to make children feel good about themselves. just GROSS. all children should be constantly miserable if you ask me. especially the..... gays *shudders*
Lmfao. I think you misinterpreted my internet emotions. I just didn't know that they teach your kids about "accepting people for who they are even if they are gay"
and literally had some club for it in school. It's kinda weird.

Usually it's the parents job to teach their kids that everyone is equal :/
We all bleed the same

No need to be an starfish; my point still stands. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech because nobody was arrested. Nobodies rights have been violated.
And technically speaking, you don't have any rights until you turn 18. The rights you think you have as a child/teenager are only inherited rights from your parents.

Personally, I find it stuffty your friend was suspended for just liking the photo. What are they gonna do, start going through all students' Facebook and suspending them based on their likes? I'd say the school went a bit over board in this situation

this is where freedom of speech comes in
This is irreverent. The school does not have the right to violate freedom of speech unless it is disruptive (for example, screaming "FIRE!" for no reason). The school is a government entity and thus is held to the same standards as all government entities.You have freedom of speech in school. Whether you were arrested or not doesn't matter-- punishment because of opinion falls under the same category. It's like saying "Schools are allowed to give black kids bad grades because they didn't arrest them".
Nobody's getting arrested, and the government isn't involved at all, the school is acting alone. The school can suspend or even expel any student it wants to for any reason, 100% legally. If you don't believe me feel free to look it up.

ya how dare ANYONE try to make children feel good about themselves. just GROSS. all children should be constantly miserable if you ask me. especially the..... gays *shudders*
there's no straight club
there's no black person club
there's no white person club
why is there a gay person club (EDIT: obviously not just gays but you clearly know what i mean)

also freedom of speech means you can't be arrested for saying things
it does not mean other people have to put up with it. and tearing down posters is not "speech" (or any variation thereof), you're just being a richard
although they shouldn't have been suspended because who gives a stuff

QIA?
According to http://tahoesafealliance.org/for-lgbqtia/what-does-lgbtqia-mean/

Queer – An umbrella term which embraces a variety of loveual preferences, orientations, and habits of those who do not adhere to the heteroloveual and cisgender majority. The term queer includes, but is not exclusive to lesbians, gay men, biloveuals, transpeople, and interlove persons, traditionally, this term is derogatory and hurtful, however, many people who do not adhere to loveual and/or gender norms use it to self-identify in a positive way.

Interlove – Someone who’s physical love characteristics are not categorized as exclusively male or exclusively female.

Aloveual – A person who is not attracted to anyone, or a person who does not have a loveual orientation.

I think the weird bit of the ongoing extension of the acronym is that Q/Queer can supposedly cover all other letters in the acronym.

Ugh at least you don't have to put up with SonicAutismWall
but seriously, that's forgeted up, they looked at every single person who like the photo?  Violation of privacy, and freedom of speech.  This happened to my school in 5th grade, someone made a Facebook page called -spanishteachername-'s english, and they all got detentions.  But, when the parents asked, they really got detentions for having Facebook.  Plate rally every parent stormed into the officer and it got so bad that they had to call the archdiocese and ask them to change the policy.  They changed the policy to you can't show your school in any bad way on social media.

thank you kindly

i think you are projecting, good sir

also freedom of speech means you can't be arrested for saying things
it does not mean other people have to put up with it. and tearing down posters is not "speech" (or any variation thereof), you're just being a richard
although they shouldn't have been suspended because who gives a stuff
Not necessarily the legal right, but perhaps the coveted concept.

prep for shariah law lads, all is lost

Probably said somewhere in the code of conduct that you cannot make such comments but never does it say that you can't physically remove propaganda

i think the suspension is a huge loving overreaction

people put up the same posters at my school and they get torn down all the time
it's annoying as forget to see rainbows everywhere and gay propaganda and stuff. it makes me uncomfortable along with a lot of other people. especially those kids that do the day of silence thing in class are immune from having to answer questions in class.

i have nothing against gay people but i don't understand why the forget they have to spread their stuff everywhere. if they didnt do this kind of thing they would be treated like normal people. in my opinion it's mostly a stunt for attention

According to http://tahoesafealliance.org/for-lgbqtia/what-does-lgbtqia-mean/

Queer – An umbrella term which embraces a variety of loveual preferences, orientations, and habits of those who do not adhere to the heteroloveual and cisgender majority. The term queer includes, but is not exclusive to lesbians, gay men, biloveuals, transpeople, and interlove persons, traditionally, this term is derogatory and hurtful, however, many people who do not adhere to loveual and/or gender norms use it to self-identify in a positive way.

Interlove – Someone who’s physical love characteristics are not categorized as exclusively male or exclusively female.

Aloveual – A person who is not attracted to anyone, or a person who does not have a loveual orientation.

I think the weird bit of the ongoing extension of the acronym is that Q/Queer can supposedly cover all other letters in the acronym.
I always thought extending the acronym, especially past Q, is pointless. Not only because Q covers everything else but also because it doesn't matter - there's no need to list everything someone can be, it's about the general concept of tolerance.