Author Topic: My dad wants to buy a "family" computer, so I picked out these parts for him.  (Read 1547 times)

>family computer
>$200 graphics card

wut

The funny thing about this situation is that my dad doesn't give a forget about gaming, and I loved what you guys showed me, but he said "it's too powerful!!11".

I don't understand that? I mean, it is my decision on this, he wants me to pick out parts for him, but why is he not okay with the specs if they fit his budget?

The funny thing about this situation is that my dad doesn't give a forget about gaming, and I loved what you guys showed me, but he said "it's too powerful!!11".

I don't understand that? I mean, it is my decision on this, he wants me to pick out parts for him, but why is he not okay with the specs if they fit his budget?
Maybe he overestimated how much money it would cost to get the power he needs? Just reduce budget.

Honestly, if your dad doesn't do anything other than watch cat videos on Youtube and play Farmville, and you already have a PC, then there's no need for him to spend $700 on hardware he's never going to need. Here's a ~$450 build I put together: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Chipskate/saved/#view=gw8scf
- Low-power Intel dual-core CPU that's actually faster than the AMD quad-core you picked
- Motherboard that supports Broadwell processors which simplifies future upgrades
- 8 gigs of RAM
- 250GB SSD which makes the PC feel a LOT faster compared to a mechanical hard drive and should be large enough for his vacation photos and e-mails
- 80+ Gold Seasonic PSU with a 5-year warranty
- Clean-looking Micro-ATX case that doesn't take up a whole lot of space

Honestly, if your dad doesn't do anything other than watch cat videos on Youtube and play Farmville, and you already have a PC, then there's no need for him to spend $700 on hardware he's never going to need. Here's a ~$450 build I put together: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Chipskate/saved/#view=gw8scf
- Low-power Intel dual-core CPU that's actually faster than the AMD quad-core you picked
- Motherboard that supports Broadwell processors which simplifies future upgrades
- 8 gigs of RAM
- 250GB SSD which makes the PC feel a LOT faster compared to a mechanical hard drive and should be large enough for his vacation photos and e-mails
- 80+ Gold Seasonic PSU with a 5-year warranty
- Clean-looking Micro-ATX case that doesn't take up a whole lot of space
Get this and a basic wireless mouse and basic wired keyboard

Not sure what you're wanting in the department of monitors... You already have one I'm guessing?

gt 610 is useless (get sth better scrub), 16 gigs of ram is useless (4 is more than enough), cpu cooler is useless, sound card is useless, widif adapter is usless (lan ftw), wired network adapter is useless (your mobo already has one), rest is ok
In many cases 4gb is NOT enough. 8gb is usually the lower limit these days. Anything less and some programs will give you crap (especially when running several at once).

In many cases 4gb is NOT enough. 8gb is usually the lower limit these days. Anything less and some programs will give you crap (especially when running several at once).
4gb is fine for his purposes, but ram is cheap enough now that I'd say just get 8

even if that computer's specs are bad

it's still better than mine
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:43:02 AM by 77x5ghost2 »

"it's too powerful!!11".
ask him what the forget he's on about