Tips for evaluating logs without a calculator?

Author Topic: Tips for evaluating logs without a calculator?  (Read 1083 times)

I took the quiz I knew all of them except didn't know what to do with ln(e) and I put 10. But after googling it was 1
Darn

But thanks guys!
Ln(e) isn't 1, e is a button on your calculator, an infinite number kinda like Pi
-- it's the same process as LOG with Ln(e) except instead of putting 10 or what ever the base is, you put e^x
And in order to find this, you need a calculator or else you have to memorize a bunch of charts and table of values.

Ln(e) isn't 1
Ln is the base e logarithm, therefore by definition Ln(e) is one, since e^1 = e.

Ln(e) isn't 1, e is a button on your calculator, an infinite number kinda like Pi
-- it's the same process as LOG with Ln(e) except instead of putting 10 or what ever the base is, you put e^x
And in order to find this, you need a calculator or else you have to memorize a bunch of charts and table of values.
saying ln(e) != 1 is like saying log(10) != 1 or lg(2) != 1
which is like saying e^1 != e, 10^1 != 10, 2^1 != 2
but they're all true

you should refresh your memory on logs

use a tape measure and a note pad

Ln is the base e logarithm, therefore by definition Ln(e) is one, since e^1 = e.
saying ln(e) != 1 is like saying log(10) != 1 or lg(2) != 1
which is like saying e^1 != e, 10^1 != 10, 2^1 != 2
but they're all true

you should refresh your memory on logs
Yes but I'm trying to tell OP that just because it has a base e doesn't mean it's 1, I thought that's what OP said.  I understand LOGs I am just trying to clarify.

can you explain this to me? i'm not in algebra but i like to know stuff
Mathematicians invent operators for stuff they can't describe in other ways. When ancient mathematicians needed a way to describe a series of added numbers, they invented the multiplication operator. When mathematicians needed a way to describe a series of multiplied numbers, they invented the exponent.

One of the flaws of the exponent is say I'm given something like this:
This is pretty easy to compute. Just 3*3 = 9

But let's say that we're given 9 and want to know what exponent on 3 we need to 'make' 9.

There's no intrinsic way of doing this besides dividing by 3 over and over, and even that falls apart when you're asked something like 10x = 2384.281.

Hence the logarithm.

ignore this guy he has literally no idea what he's talking about
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:40:43 PM by SeventhSandwich »