Author Topic: EM Drive opens up new possibilities for space flight  (Read 1908 times)

asteroids
ISS is fine.

and seismic activity
If you're making a giant ass nanotube cable 35,786 kilometres long I'd think a dampener would be the lowest cost part of it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 02:44:20 PM by TheArmyGuy »

ISS is fine.
and what about earthquakes
tornados
hurricanes
tsunamis
any other number of natural disasters

nanaotube
lawl

lawl
Not sure if you laughed at concept or spelling but nanotubes formed together to make a cable has the current highest known tensile stress resistance of any material. It's just really hard to make them larger than 5cm.

If we would really commit to it as a species I think it'd be possible to make a pretty decent disaster-resistant anchor. It'd be stuff expensive and a giant international effort, but it'd be possible.

ISS is fine.
the ISS is a tiny target, and if something did happen to it, the cost would be relatively small
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator_safety

Not sure if you laughed at concept or spelling but nanotubes formed together to make a cable has the current highest known tensile stress resistance of any material. It's just really hard to make them larger than 5cm.
I was amused at the spelling was all, I'm well aware that carbon nanotubes are extremely strong, there's just so much safety concerns with the idea in general that it wouldn't be worth the cost, for example all the stuff listed in the article that Foxscotch linked

the ISS is a tiny target, and if something did happen to it, the cost would be relatively small
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator_safety
Use a different concept alltogether, capture an asteroid, tie it to a cable and hollow it out. Radiation and micrometeorite issues solved.

I was amused at the spelling was all, I'm well aware that carbon nanotubes are extremely strong, there's just so much safety concerns with the idea in general that it wouldn't be worth the cost, for example all the stuff listed in the article that Foxscotch linked
I agree that making one right now is absolutely handicapped and the worst investment you could probably make.

It turns electrical energy into microwaves, which bounce around in a container to generate thrust...

Use a different concept altogether, capture an asteroid, tie it to a cable and hollow it out. Radiation and micrometeorite issues solved.
afaik there's a planned mission that will put an asteroid in orbit around the moon for us to harvest

I'm just interested in how much it will make things explode.

Would be great as an electrical RCS system.

Would be great as an electrical RCS system.
reaction control system system??

Maybe put it away for a 100 years before someone gets killed trying to go through a warp hole

Kids these days and their sonic level 10 turkey roasters

What you typed

rectal control system system??
What I read
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:51:28 PM by Kansas »

Wait, there's a system of a system?

TRANSENDANCE