Author Topic: Georges Vehicles: New Car! Mini Cooper!  (Read 2906 times)

Mini Cooper S

I know it's been quite some time, but here's a new car I'm working on! My old topic is too old to post in, unfortunately. I guess I don't make cars often enough. :P

Anyway, here is my new Mini Cooper I'm making the S variant, but I could potentially make the non S variant at some point if someone really wants an inferior looking car for some reason.

- Pictures

- Things Left To Finish
- Interior
- Steering and tail light animations

The interior is by the far the biggest thing left to do. One benefit of me making this car is my aunt owns one and I have actually ridden in it multiple times, so I kinda can get a sense for whether or not the interior is right.

Sizes are currently temporariy, I just made it that big so it fits with my Bengs C300 wheels.

As you can see, there's still lots to be done, but considering I just started yesterday (I think...), I think I'm making some pretty good progress!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:17:54 PM by Georges »

You should do some research on cvs. I feel this car could greatly benefit from it.

can you make a variant like one of those kiddie cars that have no bottom and you push it by walking

You really should do some work on the smooth shading, smooth shade the entire car instead of specific edges and parts just don't work right.

Ok. I did that, looks a bit better. Updated OP with a couple new pictures after I finished the front and back bumpers.

Edit: I'm having the same problem I had with the Bengs though where the shadow is only there for the wheels again. :/

Fixed: I didn't have my glass sections as a seperate object from the rest of the body.

Final pictures for the night now in OP!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:06:49 PM by Georges »

Bump! Exterior is finished. I just need to do the interior and animations!

I... eh... oof. I don't know about this.

Have you noticed how smooth shading does not disguise your polygons?
I don't know how to word this. Your model isn't... clean(? precise?) enough to look better with the amount of smooth shading you're using. There are too many sharp edges, and they are visible under Blockland's lighting.
You're trying to make a smooth, round car, but you're also trying to not use many polygons. You need to be really precise about every angle if you want to accomplish both of those things.

I upped the contrast and pointed out some of the angles I'm talking about, so hopefully you can see what's bothering me. The first thing I noticed on this car was the triangulation on the door.

Don't get me wrong, though, it's very close to being something I really like. There's just a number of places where you could improve those angles. Perhaps add slightly more definition, and don't adjust things arbitrarily.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:54:58 PM by Teneksi »

I'd ditch the glass, the sun can turn it pure white and ruin your driving if you are using first person.

Hmmm... I totally see what you're saying. I'll see what I can do about this. Thanks for the input!

I'd ditch the glass, the sun can turn it pure white and ruin your driving if you are using first person.
Glass color hasn't been finalized yet, I'm still trying to come up with a color I like that doesn't do that. Working with translucent parts is... not easy.

Working with translucent parts is... not easy.
Don't I know it.

Here's a tip. If you're using Blender, anyway. If you're not, there should be some equivalent to it.

I parented all the parts that are made of self-illuminating materials to an empty. I don't think this was necessary, it was just for organization.

However, what I've found is extremely helpful for things not looking stupid (such as your mirror behind your window not being affected in color by the window in front of it ) and various parts of the car disappearing / not casting shadows is creating an empty, naming it whatever (I chose zflarecontainer because it was mostly for the flares on the police car, with a z to put it at the bottom of the list), and parenting all objects with translucent materials to that empty shape. (Every object in there is JUST the translucent part of each object. I also made sure that the translucent materials were removed from the material lists of every solid object)

Somehow this helps the .dts format or Blockland or something along the line to recognize that, hey, the translucent stuff REALLY IS a separate thing from what it's around. If you leave them unparented and floating around with the other stuff, even if the translucent-material objects are separate objects, things like this tend to happen:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:45:14 PM by Teneksi »

Okay, thanks! :D

In other news, I've started on the interior.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:56:32 PM by Georges »

How is this going

bump btw

can you make a variant like one of those kiddie cars that have no bottom and you push it by walking
can you do dis pls?

How is this going

bump btw
I've started on the interior, but I haven't made a ton of progress yet. Kinda been slacking on working on it past couple days.

can you do dis pls?
Probably not, sorry. :/