Author Topic: Event that halts progression of chat messages  (Read 665 times)

I am requesting an output event that, when trigger, forces all chat message updates to no longer display, similar to what happens when you Page Up and scroll to a previous line in the chat, and it just sits there without hopping up to any new chat messages.  The player can then Page Down to scroll back to the most recent messages.  In addition, for fluidity, it would be good to have an event that automatically does this for the player.

You can't do this with an event, atleast not in a way that it works with pagedown.

You'd have to buffer all new messages on the server and then send them to the player with a second event to continue chat.

What exactly do you need this for?

The only practical thing I can think of is for a spam of chat messages for a help command or something, without making the user page up to the start

If this is the case, you could use a series is messageboxes. If that's not the case, tell us what is, maybe a better solution exists

What exactly do you need this for?

The only practical thing I can think of is for a spam of chat messages for a help command or something, without making the user page up to the start

If this is the case, you could use a series is messageboxes. If that's not the case, tell us what is, maybe a better solution exists

I'm using VCE varlinks for elevator floor buttons and bot interaction and it gets irritating when the sequence of varlinks gets pushed up the chat by a new chat message.  I would use the event to keep the varlinks on screen so that the user can click on them and not get interrupted by new chat.

so I guess buffering the chat until the player clicks a floor?

so I guess buffering the chat until the player clicks a floor?

Yes, exactly that.  There is also a timeout included in my events, just for good measure.