Who do you want for president 2016?

Annoying Orange
22 (28.9%)
Clinton
5 (6.6%)
Badspot
49 (64.5%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: New Road Bricks Concept [ALIVE]  (Read 12938 times)

Hey all.  I've enjoyed the new road packs that have come out over the past couple years. They look really nice, are a perfect size, and serve many functions. But, all of them are incompatible with each other, and all of the packs have major limitations. I'm here to end those limitations. I've devised a new method for creating large, functional roads that look good and don't add on a lot to the brick count (it will be more than the other road packs, but not terribly).

This pack utilizes separate bricks for every line and road surface.  This way, any combination of white, yellow, dashed, or solid could be used with one-another. You can even have green, blue, red, or whatever color line you want!

Basic Pack:

Description:

This pack contains simple, universally required flat road pieces.  Bricks include all sizes for the surfaces, from 8x8 up to 64x64 and all permutations in between.  The pack also has straight lines and 90° turn lines.  Lines come in dashed and solid variations.  The lines also come in 1x and 2x types - by this I mean that a 1x line brick will fit entirely inside a 1x plate and is used primarily for double lines in the center of the road, whereas the 2x line brick overlaps two studs and is used for the lines between lanes.

Pictures:

Intersection Pack:

Description:

This pack contains lines that make intersections possible.  They include solid lines shorter than 8x, curves lines with smaller radii than turns in the basic pack, arrows, thicker lines for the T-zone/the line that stops cars before intersections, crosswalk lines, and others I haven't thought of yet.

Pictures:

None yet

Miscellaneous Pack:

Description:

Assorted lines and such that don't fit anywhere but are absolutely necessary to complete a road system.  So far, only merge/lane reduction lines are in it.

Pictures:

Coming Soon

Bricks Planned for Later:

- Intersection bricks
  - Crosswalks
  - Lines
- >64x radius curves
- Off ramps (flat)
- Shoulders
- Filler for where curves leave open areas
- Elevation changes/sloped straights (with attempts to make it compatible with terrain bricks)
- Canted/superelevated curves
- Merges
- Lane Reductions
- Sidewalks
- Curbs
- Diagonals
  - Partial curves
  - Diagonal blanks
- Square-completing road pieces
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:14:49 PM by Gen. Hothauser »

These could be neat and useful. Keep working on these. Especially the sidewalks.

These could be neat and useful. Keep working on these. Especially the sidewalks.

Alright, will do.

I've got all bricks in the first pack modeled up, but am having trouble with the side and bottom UV coords.  It shouldn't take me more than a day to figure everything out and get bricks rolling out.

this sounds really nice!

You should also make a cul de sac road brick.

You should also make a cul de sac road brick.

I'll look into it, but I think just four blank turns with blank line curve bricks in the middle should accomplish that.  Dunno, just conceptualizing on that.  I may make a separate pack for small, neighborhood-size road pieces, and that can be included in it.

Race track pieces for a third set?

Also bridges would be nice

Race track pieces for a third set?

Also bridges would be nice

I could do a finish line brick, and maybe go-kart starting slots.  The canted (banked) curves are probably what you are requesting, and I'll definitely be looking into those.

As for bridges, though I have yet to do any specific research on bridge roads, I don't believe they vary significantly from normal roads.  Although now that you mention it, I did forget about things like merges and two- to one- lane reductions for thin bridges, so I guess I can work on those too.  I'm assuming this is what you meant, because I am leaving the actual creation of bridges up to the user of these bricks.

I could do a finish line brick, and maybe go-kart starting slots. The canted (banked) curves are probably what you are requesting, and I'll definitely be looking into those.

I've been dying to build an oval circuit in BL for a long time. These definitely wouldn't go unappreciated.

- Elevation changes (with attempts to make it compatible with terrain bricks)
- Canted/superelevated curves
I very much look forward to that.

If you make something resembling this possible, you'd be my hero.

Oh yes please make this happen and not fade it away.

If you make something resembling this possible, you'd be my hero.

I do believe that should be possible.  Sloped straights with flat curves, should be easy enough.

elevated sidewalks?

I hadn't thought about other parts of streets beside the road surface itself.  I could probably do other things, like sidewalks and curbs, and maybe guard rails and stuff.  I'll look into it for a future pack.

I managed to fix all of my previous texture issues, although now I am experiencing a weird glitch with disappearing sides when repainting the brick.  After I fix this issue, I will begin exportation of the straight line bricks, then move on to curved bricks.
All fixed! Stupid quad arrangement.

[edit]

pictures of the first straight pieces. Not much to look at, just showing that I've made them.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:22:55 PM by Gen. Hothauser »

First line brick made!

I think I like this texture scheme for the lines, as opposed to a blank texture.  It uses two edges of the SIDE texture to give it a raised appearance.  I left off the other two edges because scaling doesn't work well for these textures and so they match the solid lines, which would require having no ending texture.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 04:18:32 PM by Zeblote »