[MEGATHREAD] Fallout 4 || Contraption, Vault-Tec, Nuka World

Poll

[February 2016] Most anticipated DLC?

Automatron
Wasteland Workshop
Far Harbor

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Fallout 4 || Contraption, Vault-Tec, Nuka World  (Read 575016 times)

I feel like america works cause that's what fallout is about
this retro futuristic world that wouldnt work in other countries
England still has a 'retro' stage in its history. We may not have the same communistic fear that Americans have (synths are basically the fallout version of communism) so yeah I guess it wouldn't work in that aspect but there are so many other things that they could explore revolving the 70s in England.

I'm surprised you didn't get scammed outta' your money.
because I buy my stuff from reliable accounts, I actually do research and then I get the G2A protection

Elevators are meant to work with the warehouse buildings, and barn i believe
I guessed they just might fit together, given the barn walls seem slightly taller.

But it's still quite a disappointment that I can't fit the elevator onto my original buildings. While there's a better scope of customisation available in the barn/warehouse stuff, some of the wood/metal/concrete stuff is just nicer looking. And of course, I have many more buildings built from those materials since they've been available longer.

somehow I'm not surprised that content for a bethesda game revolving around physics isn't very good
To be honest, the rube goldberg stuff isn't too bad, actually. I've only fiddled with it a little bit more, but it was pretty simple to set up some at least somewhat interesting mechanism, and it all ran fairly smoothly.

I'm kind of having difficulty however working out a place to put any of it to use. I've already made use of Starlight's large open space, and it seems like it would be a bit tricky in some of the smaller settlements.

The only physics thing that is really stuffty is this little cannon that's supposed to blast junk items into the air (for whatever reason), and seems pretty incapable of doing so.

I wish they'd bring back feral ghouls having idle conversations

[im g]https://66.media.tumblr.com/366340523b414cf0edd34b26e8bf7061/tumblr_o7lk74sdjc1s0hk6go1_1280.jpg[/img]
WHAT THE forget

when nick finds out u sided with the brotherhood

Spent a couple hours checking out the new stuff for settlements. Elevators seem cool (Although I placed one in the covenant and I could only build two floors up so it was pretty loving pointless.
Not sure what to use the rolling balls or convener belts for though. I only use junk for crafting materials for building so there's no point making some kind of conveyor machine. Anyone found some cool uses for them yet?
I do like the weapon rack things though, they're pretty sweet.
Really was hoping for bunk beds in the contraption update, hate using singles.
Would love to see a pack of "clean stuff" released by Bethesda (the mod one makes me crash for some reason) maybe in the vault update they'll release some stuff.
Conduit wires looks pretty neat, although they look pretty unbendable so I'm not sure if it'll work well when going from one building grid to another.

So I'm thoroughly annoyed with the factory stuff. Once again it's a couple of stupid oversights that turn the whole thing from being fun to being a pain in the arse.

For starters there are two types of conveyors, powered conveyors (an actual converyor belt) and rollers (which only allow things to move under their own momentum).
Now most of the time you'll be using the conveyor belts, but may have to use a roller (likely because of another issue).
However, when a belt meets a roller you will find that the belt does not impart enough momentum on the carried items to move along the roller for even a short distance. They simply stop on contact.
The only time that an item has enough momentum for rollers is when it rolls down a ramp (but not a belt ramp). This means rollers are only of use if moving items downhill, which makes sense but is not helpful given another issue;

There are two ways of turning a corner, one belt and one roller.
However, the belt corner is longer in one direction than the other, and is of a length that is not standard with the other straight pieces. As such using it will make your conveyor out of line with any other sections of it.
This means that should you have a conveyor that splits into two paths you will find that they become out of line with eachother and can't be put together again.
Now the roller corner is the perfect size, great for tight spaces and is standard size so it fits with other things. But because of the earlier issue it can't be used next to a belt, only a ramp from above. Speaking of;

There are two ramps that change elevation by a small amount, one belt, one roller.
However, the ramps can only be used to take things downhill.
Obviously the roller ramp can't push stuff uphill, as it has no power. But the belt ramp does.
But, the belt ramp will only roll downwards, and this can't be toggled. Which means the belt ramp is entirely useless as it uses power to do the same job as the roller ramp, only slower.
Speaking of moving stuff downhill;

There are powered conveyor belt lifts which move items upwards with very little horizontal space taken up, good for tight spaces.
However, the lifts cannot transport items from high to low, despite being an identical use of a lift.
Instead the only way to move things from high to low is to build a ramp going down. The ramps though are very shallow, so any chain of ramps going down will be 3x times as long horizontally than a belt lift of equal height.
This means you need an extremely large area to build in, no matter what. Building your factory vertically will not save you space, as you require that space to get your product/materials down again.

It really just feels like Bethesda didn't playtest any of this stuff.
It seems impossible that they could miss these issues, given I've encountered them in less than an hour of playing with them.

Also, the earlier issue I had of elevators not snapping to floors (but floors snapping to elevators) is a bug and only affects the 4-story elevator. The 2/3-story ones snap as intended.

-snip-
That was... in-depth.

I haven't played around with the conveyors at all, I'll need to look into this now.

Spoilers for automatron I guess

[Honestly for $10 dollars it would be worth it even though I had gotten it from the season pass. Also I don't understand the hate for the mechanist lair settlement, it's cool to make your own lair, plus you can store all your robots in there.]

Spoilers for automatron I guess

I prefer a little sunlight, makes my base building feel a little bit more rewarding. I don't hate it though, I will probably work on it later. Right now I'm gonna try and make a base in every settlement and make every one have a different personality.
Right now I'm trying to make a big mansion in the airport. Kinda hard when you have no decent house-looking walls.