Poll

how do you feel about standardized testing?

I think it's harmful/dumb
19 (61.3%)
I don't mind
11 (35.5%)
I think it's beneficial/helpful
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] how do you feel about standardized testing  (Read 1377 times)

I know a whole bunch of new jersey students opted out of the parcc test this last testing season (40-50k last I heard), kind of a testament to the number of kids who are tired of the standardized lifestyle
I was going to but I didn't an I'm sort of glad to be honest. Got to sit next to this nice girl and we talked after it ended for a good hour so...

I do pretty well on them so I'm indifferent towards it to be 100% honest with myself.

Most are pointless for things like comparisons if we aren't all on a common core system.

But whatever I'll be out of school before that happens.

Ridiculous. In school all they do is teach you what will be on the test and say 'we are preparing you for the real world' sure, when I use quadratic equation I'll tell you.
The quadratic equation is relatively fundamental, so you'll need to learn it to do the math required by practically any STEM career, not to mention architecture and economics.

I guess if your life plan is to bag groceries for a living, then you don't need the quadratic equation.

i think they're overdone. some testing is good for statistics, but when i have to spend over 40 hours in one semester alone taking standardized tests, it's ridiculous. it's disruptive to classes because classes that happen in computer labs have to find somewhere else to go for class, and teachers for some classes have to be proctors and so we're left with too few subs to handle the teacher shortage. additionally, since my school split the testing into two groups (morning group and evening group), many students who took morning tests fell behind in their morning classes and vise versa for afternoon students. it's a mess.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:31:05 PM by carolcat »

You know, you guys don't even have to sit the tests, but don't complain if not having standardised grading impacts you later in life.

It's the only accurate way to compare people's abilities at a subject.

The quadratic equation is relatively fundamental, so you'll need to learn it to do the math required by practically any STEM career, not to mention architecture and economics.

I guess if your life plan is to bag groceries for a living, then you don't need the quadratic equation.
This.

Literally guys stop saying bullstuff like "How will x ever help me in y" because absolutely everything you are taught at high school in a subject is very commonly used in the industry.