Outdated studs break shaders, heres how to fix them.

Author Topic: Outdated studs break shaders, heres how to fix them.  (Read 3709 times)

Everyone should be using at least minimum by now so who cares?

Lol, minimum looks awful. Id rather nothing than minimum.
I only ever turn on shaders when I need to take screenshots. I can't stand any find of FPS drop even if its like 4.
Ill keep my "broken" studs.

Yes. I try my hardest to NOT go for the lego style of building.
My bad for trying. Ill stop.

well I don't know if you know this, but they're supposed to be plastic lego bricks, hence the "plastic" look

well I don't know if you know this, but they're supposed to be plastic lego bricks, hence the "plastic" look
ye

I only ever turn on shaders when I need to take screenshots. I can't stand any find of FPS drop even if its like 4.
Actually minimum is faster than off because it's more optimized.

Actually minimum is faster than off because it's more optimized.
This isn't true for everyone, though. Recall that GLSL isn't very portable (but it's certainly getting better).

so is fixing manty's textures up out of the question or

so is fixing manty's textures up out of the question or
Manty's Textures are not far off from the original ones, all those do is remove a strange glow around the border of the brick textures, yet they still have the shader breaking effect.

Yes. I try my hardest to NOT go for the lego style of building.
My bad for trying. Ill stop.

Also if you play without shaders you studs will glow again. So, forget that...
So you use the no-glow textures?

They look strange...

So you use the no-glow textures?

They look strange...

I literally made those for myself and released them because people asked for them before the shader update.
The "no glow" had been my personal brick texture for more than 5 years.

Oh, no stuff. I had no god damn clue because I cant think my way out of a paper bag.

I dont like the look of literal plastic pieces. If I build a tree, I want it to look like a tree. To me, the brick building style is nothing more than a stylized graphic choice, not a literal representation.
What I think looks better is not a debate, it is a statement.

to preemptively cut off this argument: whether or not we want plastic look doesnt matter at all. this topic (afaik) is intended as a PSA, not a discussion of whether or not this looks better

Minimum
https://imgrush.com/4xU7y3HGLife.png
vs
Off
https://imgrush.com/hneYx98J6bOH.png

Is it bad that I much prefer off?
yes this clearly means you're the scum of the earth
[/sarcasm]

Even with the improved flat shading and lighting effects minimum brings?
Try that on interior and tell me it looks better.
Well you do have a pretty good point there.
I could probably do without the brick shine effect seeing how it also still appears in an interior of a building which obviously doesn't look good.

That and certain prints reflect weird due to particular trasparency layers.
But thats just an issue with the prints.

I will agree that minimum looks fine in exterior. However as a interior builder I don't see that very often...