Author Topic: || [INDEPENDENT MUSIC THREAD]: Support up-and-coming artists! ||  (Read 3632 times)

SONG OF THE WEEK:
|| ||
MAITRO - Kid Goku
Soundcloud

Now that i've got some free time, i thought it would be cool to start up an independent music thread. Basically, this is a place where you can post independent music of any genre, whether it be EDM, Hip-Hop, Alt-Rock, IDM, Metalcore, Witchhouse, Seapunk, Yung Bae - anything!

By independent, i mean music that isn't going to be on a top 40's list - less known, more underground music. Independent doesn't have to mean solo too - lesser known smaller labels, bands, groups, etc. are completely viable.

Post the artists here, discuss independent music and genres in general, give criticism, promote your independent music, etc.

SOME OF MY FAVORITES
KuroioOto
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
Quote from: Bio
Aaron “KuroiOto” Armstrong’s stage name is the Japanese translation of “Black Noise,” but his melodic backdrops are always pleasant to the ears. The Southfield, Michigan producer’s signature sound – marked by obscure sample flips, multi-layered harmonies and contagious energy – has already garnered fans with his five instrumental albums: Black & Brown, The May 3rd EP, M.A.X.Wellness, Iro Iro and 7 Days Of The Breaks. In 2012, KuroiOto’s production served as the soundscape for James Gardin’s ”A Little Light For You” E.P. and will do the same for Gardin’s next solo project, as well as future BLAT!
KuroiOto's beats are really cool, mixing hip hop and r&b with some real cool experimental stuff. If you like R&B, and classic stuff like Sam and Dave, definitely give KuroiOto a listen.
CHOICE SONGS:
Shag
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
Shag is a young producer who's doing a whole bunch of stuff with his beats. Some are contemporary hip-hop, some are experimental videogame homages, some are more orchestral, etc. He's got a huge body of work so far, and it's pretty hard to pin him down to one genre, but he's very talented so give him a listen.
CHOICE SONGS:
Tikal Shine
Bandcamp
Tikal Shine is a very indie LA producer, who's music can only be described as "Speed Disco". He's pretty amateur: a lot of his stuff is hit-and-miss. Despite his shortcomings, he really nails the music in certain songs, and just for those he's still worth listening too
CHOICE SONGS:
OHD
Soundcloud
OHD is a trip-hop, chill producer who infuses a lot of classical styles, lighter on the sampling than some others. Very good chill out music, the kinda stuff you might hear on Self DeleteSheep's channel. If you want some well composed, lemonade on the front porch on a summer day music, check OHD out.
CHOICE SONGS:
Marquinch Mogule
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
Marquinch is one of the more interesting Vaporwave/Hip-Hop artists in my opinion. A lot of vaporwave artists sorta copy guys like macintosh plus and macross, but Marquinch has a very distinct 80's, kinda creepy style. If you like vaporwave, definitely give Marquinch a listen, and if you despise it, still give him a listen.
CHOICE SONGS:
Carpenter Brut
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
Quote from: hodot
Carpenter Brut is an indie electronic/synthwave/darkwave artist who began making music in 2012. This artist's incredible talent for knowing when to pick up the pace and simmer it down have earned him a top spot on my list of artists, and I believe he may be one of the most intelligent and talented musicians of our time. Featuring two of his songs in the Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number soundtrack really gave the game its peak moments an even deeper nirvana, when you're so immersed in a scene because of the music that you just can't focus on anything else. All in all, Carpenter Brut's music will always bring a smile to my face.
CHOICE SONGS:

Compilation Channels:
There are also lots of Youtube channels that compile indie music, some making music videos to certain songs. If you guys know of any others, please post em. Some of my favorites are :ElFamosoDemon,IEatBeatz, Self Delete Sheep.

NOTE: I know i posted beats and more hip-hop related music, but that doesn't mean that other stuff is not viable to post- any genre of music is appreciated, it just can't be katy perry, ya dig?
Also feel free to copy the bbcode if you want to make your own artist bios in the same format:

[table][tr]
[td][img width=250]http://IMAGE HERE[/img][/td]
[td][b]NAME[/b]
Soundcloud/Bancamp/Youtube/Etc. Link
Bio
[u]CHOICE SONGS[/u]:[list]
[li][url=http://link]SONG NAME[/url][/li]
[/list]
[/td]
[/tr][/table]

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:01:51 PM by Camel »

just bought shag's new ep

mmm

These following guys are responsible for some of my favorite songs ever. Seriously, I love em.

https://soundcloud.com/loudly-1
http://maf464.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/maf464 - some of his songs are only accesible if you have a program that plays .MOD or .XM files (such as PotPlayer, XMPlay, OpenMPT, etc.)
http://sagamusix.de/ - same thing here
http://coda.s3m.us/ - and here

also, aso. and macross 82-99

distant.lo is good too

also i know it may have seemed that i was dissing macross, but i won't deny a lot of his stuff i pretty damn enjoyable, i just think it gets a lil played out

here's a dope one:

EDIT: forgot this is by roman ft. macross, so technically it's not all his
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:00:16 AM by Camel »

www.whosampled.com/マクロス-Macross-82-99/
tl;dr a lot of stuff macross has made is heavily sampled
a lot of the stuff i love is sampled, and my opinion on it is that

if you sample but you really make it your own, that's completely valid: see KuroiOto

but i can't help but feel an ambivalence to guys like macross cus i don't really know how much of their song is theirs. ultimately, if something sounds good and you like it, like it.

a lot of the stuff i love is sampled, and my opinion on it is that

if you sample but you really make it your own, that's completely valid: see KuroiOto

but i can't help but feel an ambivalence to guys like macross cus i don't really know how much of their song is theirs. ultimately, if something sounds good and you like it, like it.
hey if you like it its fine, just not a fan of not crediting something you base a song off of

agreed.

that's how i feel with a lot of vaporwave. it does seem to just be a japanese 80's pop song with a filter over it. sometimes that's what i want to listen to

Gotta be my favorite indie band, saw them live a few years ago and nearly passed out from heat stroke, but dat music.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:59:05 AM by Oasis »

If you enjoy IDM and ambient, I'd definitely check out the artists signed to independent record label Ghostly International.

Their logo happens to be my avatar.  :cookieMonster:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:34:58 AM by Comatose »

If you enjoy IDM and ambient, I'd definitely check out the artists signed to independent record label Ghostly International.

Their logo happens to be my avatar.  :cookieMonster:
I loving love Ghostly...

Few albums worth checking out:

Doldrums - The Air Conditioned Nightmare
Paradox - Ramifications LP
Plaid - Booc

Can give more recommendations if anyone likes <3