Author Topic: The extreme lack of Coop focused rpg games.  (Read 2224 times)

System shock 2 was .90 cents so me and a friend picked it up. I read that the game had multiplayer that was kind of added in last minute. And some of you that know the game may think "Well, that's kind of dumb. What's the point of that?" because the entire design around the game is to make the player scared, your alone on a space station and have to trek through multiple levels and solve puzzles/gain access cards and such. You would think that multiplayer would ruin it right? Wrong. I don't know what happened but it did the opposite of what I thought it would do. Having a second player explore the empty dark halls of von braun with you actually made it scarier for us.
We were concerned more about each others well being more than our own. And, as glitchy and buggy as it was, it was fun!

That got me thinking, because after we finished the game, we tried searching for another horror survival rpg-esque game but to no avail. Anything that had anything to do with rpg instantly had borderlands stapled all over it and im sick of it. Im not talking about conventional mmos here, although one does barely make the cut, and that's vindictus, im talking about a game with enough story driven gameplay to make both players equally as happy. I can't find anything that has a good story but also lets a second player share the experience with you. I don't even care what time period its in as long as it has solid gameplay and a mechanic that makes players work together.

Games like the elder scrolls and fallout could easily take advantage of a drop in/out coop system, I can't correctly word this but its as almost as it brings out another hidden..."sense"? I guess you could say? It just, overall enlightens the gameplay.

So that leaves me here hoping to hear from someone with suggestions about other games that they've had considerable amounts of fun playing with another person(s).

Dark Souls is really invigorating with a friend even though the Co-op is kinda wonky. Try it out and see if it fits your tastes.

dead space 3 has online co-op with both characters interacting iirc, and it basically tells you all of the basics of the story at the beginning also iirc ; borderlands 2 isn't too "story driven" but is great for co-op also

the dawn of war 2 games have coop campaigns

Afraid of Monster's mod for Half Life with use of Sven Coop.

Divinity original sin? You're not looking hard enough!
http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:33:51 AM by tails »

Army of two my brothera
kappa

Divinity original sin? You're not looking hard enough!
http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html
Divinity Original Sin is a blast with coop.
There is even a mod for it that makes 4 player coop possible.

anything to do with rpg instantly had borderlands stapled all over it
but borderlands is fun

and how so? focused on guns and more players doesn't affect the storyline?
in that case, it would have to be a different story for coop instead of single player? kind of like battleblock theatre in a way

Dark souls series, Dungeon defenders, Warframe, Vindictus and Mabinogi are some of the coop games I enjoy.

I'd highly recommend dungeon defenders, great for tower defense
for other coop games, minecraft, terraria, killing floor, things like that
all of them are less focused on storylines though

What's wrong with the Borderlands series?  They're really great.  What is so wrong with them.

borderlands doesn't have ANY replay value whatsoever

i find it fun shooting the stuff with friends
so for me it has a ton, since i keep replaying it with different groups of friends

i've went through the main storyline about 4 different times now..