Poll

After you've tried the new reference frame import feature, do you think it should be enabled by default?

Yes
No

Author Topic: [Blender] New DTS plugin  (Read 133544 times)

So, is there a tutorial or anything I can use with this in place (2.78, the version on Steam) to make weapons/items?
its a lot easier to export with this system assuming you already know how to model/apply textures/animate in the modern blender.

Install the dts exporter as you normally would (file > user preferences > addons > install from file > select .zip you download off the github).

for items:
Make your model scaled to this reference model, and use empties instead of bones to represent positions like the muzzlepoint/ejectpoint (by default the mountpoint is automatically generated at the center). Export as .dts, and done.

I can provide reference .blends you can use to understand how to make animations/format the model if you need.

its a lot easier to export with this system assuming you already know how to model/apply textures/animate in the modern blender.

Install the dts exporter as you normally would (file > user preferences > addons > install from file > select .zip you download off the github).

for items:
Make your model scaled to this reference model, and use empties instead of bones to represent positions like the muzzlepoint/ejectpoint (by default the mountpoint is automatically generated at the center). Export as .dts, and done.

I can provide reference .blends you can use to understand how to make animations/format the model if you need.

From what I remember, that is a whole lot less steps. Though in 2-3 years time, I've forgotten alot of the little bits. I never actually learned from a tutorial because I couldn't wrap my head around it, so I bugged someone into teaching me the process in realtime through steam chat. Meanwhile, people who never learned to begin with, it would still be good to have a proper tutorial with this method.

I'll try to re-learn what I can the next chance I get, but there was a reason I needed a tutor to begin with.

Just updated the repository to add support for importing and exporting blend animations (e.g. look, talk, etc.). It isn't completely tested but it should be fine.
This uses a new import-time option named "Reference keyframe", which creates a keyframe and marker on every node with the base pose. It's needed for blend animations, so make sure you enable it if you need it.

YES!!! Thank you for the update!

Added a poll regarding the reference keyframe feature. I'd like to make it default as you cannot import/export blend animations without it, and because it generally shouldn't get in your way regardless. Otherwise you'd have to remember to check it every time.

I'd like to do something similar for the node order option, but that seems to trip people up as they expect deleting everything in the scene to be enough of a cleanup after importing (you should really use Ctrl-N).

How should selection only export work?

Say you have a model with some empties. Should only selected empties be exported? What happens to the meshes attached to them, just don't include them?

Should it consider an object to be included if any of its children are selected?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:59:30 AM by portify »

I think it should do what it's name implies and just literally export ONLY what is selected to avoid confusion

As for sequences, maybe those could be exported despite whether or not the markers are selected in the timeline, just as long as the object and it's node that are a part of the sequence is selected, and if there's any objects/nodes that are also a part of the sequence, but are not selected, exclude those

Or it could be a separate option to include only selected or all nodes upon export, having all nodes export could be useful for player animations, but having only selected nodes export could be useful for weapon animations

Like say the player imports the shiftAway animation to the player model and they animate their weapon to go along with the shiftAway animation, that's a scenario where including only selected nodes would be useful

Reference keyframe is now enabled by default when importing a DTS file

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 02:04:31 AM by portify »

I think it's purely the user's fault if they don't start a new scene entirely

Who are these people that delete everything and start over instead of using Ctrl+N? I assumed that it was normal to use the 'New' option when you wanted to start over

The node order option has been removed and should no longer be necessary. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

The "Hide Blockhead nodes" import time option has been replaced with the "Hide Blockhead nodes on selection" operator in the space/command menu, which also uses a blacklist instead of a whitelist to avoid hiding things it shouldn't

Added selection only exporting, cleaned a few things up and fixed some bugs (most notably everything being rotated when exporting a mesh without a parent empty, i.e. where the exporter adds __auto_root__)

I wanna try using this thing, but no clue how. Has anyone made a tutorial yet??

I wanna try using this thing, but no clue how. Has anyone made a tutorial yet??
???