Poll

After you've tried the new reference frame import feature, do you think it should be enabled by default?

Yes
No

Author Topic: [Blender] New DTS plugin  (Read 133557 times)

Changes from 0.1.1 to 0.2.0:

69183be Partial support for implementing skinned meshes into armatures
1071a62 Remove the 'use mesh transforms' option, default on
be61fb0 Split compute_bounds into a separate function
659b669 Split save_meshes into a separate function
b9780bd Split save_nodes into a separate function
3be26e4 Remove unused functions
22ae5da Very experimental support for exporting armature modifiers
98af966 Display skinned mesh data in reports
335a2b0 Fix a regression in reading skinned meshes
f986f35 Even more WIP code for generating skinned meshes
b2c374f WIP structure for supporting armature modifiers
d7359b7 Try to support bone parenting
72b054f Try to add nodes from armatures, remove animated_nodes, clean up nodes
846eb91 Remove carriage returns
831f5ba Remove node_indices, node_lookup; set node.index instead
6075f01 Use .sort() instead of sorted()
e5b3406 Remove experimental armature export
7e1ce51 Add a detail level to empty shapes
e126998 s/generate_textures/generate_texture
b624831 Retab DtsTypes
ae12e9a Fix influence and bone indices
ee0bdb7 Move texture generation to a separate function
bc0ed1e Remove unused regexes
a613b5a Implement SkinMesh writing and clarify types
adf20d4 Implement SkinMesh writing and clarify types
a501855 Remove unused IFL properties
8da73a7 Support other rotation modes for import as well
6b0e7ad Support all rotation modes when finding animation matters
ffb6d07 Try to fix error with selection only

Summary:

• Some bug fixes, code cleanups and minor improvements
  • Simplified the Torque material panel to no longer contain fields that are actually ignored by the game
  • Support rotation modes better (released previously)
  • Removed some options that are no longer supported
  • Fix automatic bounds placement - it should work a lot better now
  • Likely out of date DSQ code - I need to unify this somehow
  • Secret incomplete features that probably don't work

This update does not include anything that specifically would fix this, but feel free to try it again if you haven't fixed it yet. No guarantees though.
I can't easily provide support for this myself as I, on top of already having little free time, work on and provide this plugin entirely free of charge.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:51:12 AM by portify »

iirc i helped rally fix it by telling him to make a root anim and playing it on the first state

Anyone know how to correctly animate using this plugin (with empties)? Every time I try my model gets super big and no animation plays... :p

Anyone know how to correctly animate using this plugin (with empties)? Every time I try my model gets super big and no animation plays... :p
super big has to do with you not applying the scale/rotation/position to the model. animation is a whole other thing.

to apply scale/location/rotation, do ctrl-a while having the mesh object selected while in object mode.

super big has to do with you not applying the scale/rotation/position to the model. animation is a whole other thing.

to apply scale/location/rotation, do ctrl-a while having the mesh object selected while in object mode.

Still didn't fix it. Am I supposed to do that with my empties as well? Would that fix my animation? I only have two hands each with one set of animation keyframes in the action editor (and are used together to form "one" animation later (hopefully lol)). I wonder if I'm just parenting it wrong or something. I don't see any "advanced" settings for exporting. I have the left hand mesh parented to an empty, which is parented to a detail32 empty. The right hand mesh is parented to an empty, which is then parented to detail32. mountPoint bone is parented to detail32, and detail32 is parented to the Shape empty, which moves everything. I have an action saved on the Shape empty (a mistake?) and an action saved on the left hand control empty. It plays in Blender. I export, no errors. Hmm... Would the animation not play at all if the state that it's called on is quicker than the animation has time to play through?

EDIT: I partially fixed it. Everything seems to be working except my meshes are still massive in-game lol. I'll keep experimenting but, halp.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:14:36 AM by xS K I D z »

Are you sure it isn't just massive in Blender as well? Keep in mind that the player is only this big:

Are you sure it isn't just massive in Blender as well?

I'll double check but I don't see how it could be. I have a .3ds file of just the Blockhead hands that are the right size so when I was done modelling, I resized the model to fit the hands. This worked on other .dts files that don't have animations.

I tried exporting a .dts file from Blender. The player collisions work, but the projectile collisions do not (spray can, hammer).

The .blend file: https://ufile.io/sb49w

I select both Col-1 and LOSCol-9 and under export, I check selected objects only.

I'm using blender v2.77

You need to break down your collision mesh into smaller convex segments, otherwise it won't work properly.

are bounds no longer generated automatically? i used to be able to export weapons without any form of bounds or collision and they would calculate it perfectly fine. now for some reason, when set to a brick, the weapon will phase inside it as if the bounds start and end from the dead center

are bounds no longer generated automatically? i used to be able to export weapons without any form of bounds or collision and they would calculate it perfectly fine. now for some reason, when set to a brick, the weapon will phase inside it as if the bounds start and end from the dead center
try importing the model to check maybe? sometimes i accidentally leave stray vertices or stuff off the end of a model.

try importing the model to check maybe? sometimes i accidentally leave stray vertices or stuff off the end of a model.
i checked. the item is spawning so that its center is on the center of the brick

It should actually be the opposite now: the bounds should be more accurate than before. Can you send me a .blend?

https://leopard.hosting/download.php?f=fxqiw&name=luger.blend

before i updated (i used a version from like a year and a half ago) the bounds would be automatically generated to match the exact edges of the weapon. now for some reason, spawning the item in-game will just cause it to be inside a brick. sorry i used such an old version of the exporter, i know that definitely makes it harder to narrow down the difference

for now i manually create a bounds shape and it seems to work but its a little bit of an extra step. not necessarily such a big issue, but its definitely worth bringing up

These are the bounds I see when I export and import that .blend with the latest version in the repository: