No Man's Sky -- That Scale Tho

Author Topic: No Man's Sky -- That Scale Tho  (Read 4596 times)

really outdated; will update after finals and stuff.
discuss the game for now kek

----
Every Planet Procedural. Every Planet Unique.

What Is No Man's Sky?

"No Man’s Sky is a game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated universe." - NMS Website

No Man's Sky is a game being developed by Hello Games, an indie studio located in South London, creator of the Joe Danger series. No Man's Sky is aiming for a procedurally-generated universe - I kid you not, an entire universe - that the player will be able to explore. From planets to plants to ships to animals, NOTHING will be the same. Please note: We only know that there is a galaxy. Sean has mentioned once that it is possible to venture outside of the galaxy, but THIS IS A TOUCHY SUBJECT.

Being that it has been noted that it the universe/galaxy is so ridiculously loving big, way bigger than the Milky Way, you won't need to care about being able to get out of the galaxy.

What Do You Do in No Man's Sky?

The game has a loose goal; you start out at the edge of the galaxy on a habitable planet with only a pod and your wits. Most people might want to get to the center of it. Whether you choose to accept this goal, that's up to you. Other than that, we're not quite sure what's in for us besides that - it's a survival situation, but we don't know how it will work. You can be a bounty hunter, a trader, a biologist, a explorer - this is, again, a touchy subject.

Which Gaming Platforms Will No Man's Sky Be On?

No Man's Sky will launch on the PlayStation 4 and most likely come on the PC at a later date will probably come out at the same time as Playstation 4 (?). The Xbox One is out of the picture, as Hello Games haven't spoken about it.

Last-generation consoles (PS3, Xbox 360) are out of the question. Wii and the Wii U are also out of the question.

Multiplayer

Players have the ability to add planets they discover to the star map, share animals they discover, etc. It is unclear whether or not you will meet another player in game, but it is unlikely that you will considering the size of the game's universe. A more traditional multiplayer, however, is going to be added after launch.

----

PRETTY ART & PICTURES

----
I'll add more to this as I find the images.
----

FOREVER A WORK IN PROGRESS.
See any mistakes? Want stuff added? Tell Swat 3.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:07:37 PM by Swat 3 »

I think I like this game a lot more in theory than I actually will in practice

Definitely. I think a lot of people are going to boot up this game and walk into it expecting something different from what they really imagined.

I'm not sure that any game will ever fulfill my scifi fantasies :(

same, but i'm really excited nonetheless
especially since it was confirmed (for sure) during E3 that it's NOT a timed exclusive
aka it'll come out on PC at the same time as it does on PS4

same, but i'm really excited nonetheless
especially since it was confirmed (for sure) during E3 that it's NOT a timed exclusive
aka it'll come out on PC at the same time as it does on PS4

Praise be to the PC Gods.

I try suppress my innate contempt for console players, but I'm happy that we will get it at the same time as consoles.

This exactly.

Also, this is the exact same megathread you revised for me a while back. I like it.

Oh my god, this looks really promising. The gameplay sounds like it's going to be fun as hell. I'm hopefully going to be able to buy it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:59:14 PM by Snoop Da Dogg »

This game's design is absolutely insane! It's so loving huge.

I don't like the overpowered, terraforming multitool of the gods that was showcased. I wish there were technology tiers.

Hey, it's Spore 2. Most likely over promised and over hyped.

I don't like the overpowered, terraforming multitool of the gods that was showcased. I wish there were technology tiers.
You need to update the multitool and stuff.

It was showcased in its top form for the sake of the presentation.

i do wonder what is at the center of the universe, and what that weird pyramid is

ok so let me clarify something
if something is procedurally generated, you really can't sell based on scale because it's by definition infinite
which almost always results in quantity (number of places) over quality (how interesting each place is)

it's why minecraft custom maps are usually way cooler than the terrain of vanilla, despite the fact that vanilla minecraft has MASSIVE scale (about that of neptune)

so in order for this to really stand up to hype they need to have put a lot of effort into making the procedural generation make unique stuff, and they can't keep waving around the word "scale" or "infinite" because it's meaningless; there are an infinite number of ways a potato chip can be shaped, but they're all boring. maybe if they were to procedurally generate the procedural generator? (the parameters adjust themselves using themselves)