WIP: a weather mod for V21 ~beta version released~

Author Topic: WIP: a weather mod for V21 ~beta version released~  (Read 4594 times)

Can't wait to get struck by thunder lightning! Maybe a chance of lighting striking a certain person/Brick if the person/brick is high enough
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:11:53 AM by (minecraft) »

Nice, I like the hight idea, right now its just random.

As far as development goes, I made a nice little getWeatherModTime() function that returns the exact time down to the nearest minute, good for a wristwatch or clock mod.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:11:40 AM by zombekillz »

The beta downloads 404'd.

Oh, stuff, ok, well ill probably upload a more updates version in the addons section soon.

What about working with math to determine weather?  Select a pre-set biome and season, and then day/night varies temperature, barometric pressure changes from time to time, and this determines the cloud cover and precipitation rate.

Or if you want a simpler version, have a variety of variables that Super Admins can adjust, such as Barometric Mean (0 – 100, translating to an irl comparison of 950 – 1050 millibars, the centerpoint on which the climate is based.  0 would be an extremely humid climate; pretty much eternally stormy.  100 would be an extremely arid climate; pretty much eternally sunny.), Barametric Floor (Number lower than Barametric Mean that says how stormy is possible), Barametric Ceiling (Number higher than Barametric Mean that says how dry is possible), Barametric MTFR (Mean to Floor Rate.  0 – 1  Basically the reflexive capability of a climate to become dry after becoming stormy.  A 0 would mean that the conditions would just as easily prefer the mean as the floor.  A 1 would mean that the climate completely prevents the development of the wettest weather.  Imagine trying to roll a ball across a surface that is sloped toward you.  If you apply the same amount of force, the ball will travel more easily if the surface is flatter.  This ball is like the weather conditions.), Barametric MTCR (Mean to Ceiling Rate.  Basically the MFTR except for detecting preferment to dryer conditions.), Barametric FAR (Floor Anchor Rate.  If things get stormy, how long will those storms last.), Barametric CAR (Ceiling Anchor Rate.  The same thing as the FAR but with dry conditions.  Also the same things with temperature, but without anchor rates.

These would allow for the creation of custom climates.

And idk how the sun affects things in different climates, but it should affect stuff, too.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 12:18:11 PM by Advanced Bot »

I remember that Blockland used to have lightning. Does that still work?

Yes, very

-bigsnip-

Well, I suppose I could do that, but I am by no means a meteorologist, so ill need to google up what the hell barometric means and what milibars are supposed to measure, but perhaps ill give it a shot and release that as an update or a plugin for the mod.

You should look into using the storm features of skyboxes. I don't remember how they work entirely, but here's something I did a while ago with an unmodified skybox: https://youtu.be/534Cw4mEspI?t=20

I never really saw anything storm related in that video, of course I am watching it on a tiny phone screen, but I have implemented heavy and light rain storms into a cloudy skybox.

I never really saw anything storm related in that video, of course I am watching it on a tiny phone screen, but I have implemented heavy and light rain storms into a cloudy skybox.

It's just a brief flash out of the window around 23 seconds.

Ooh, I thought that was the inside and the players were outside already, my bad.