Tab For a Cause

Author Topic: Tab For a Cause  (Read 1417 times)

All you do is install the browser plugin on Firefox or Chrome (Or both, like I did) and it will replace your New Tab page with one that looks like this:

(Click for full size)

The page is customizable and has a nice little stats menu to show you how many tabs you open throughout the week and a leader board.
Every time you see this page you get a heart, which is worth $0.01, basically redirecting Tab For a Cause's AdSense money straight into a little fund of your own to give to charity.
Once you have some hearts to give, you donate them to one of the charities on their list of participating charities. The way donations work is, from their own FAQ:

"When you donate a Heart, you are essentially casting a vote for money to be given to your selected charity. At the end of each quarter, we take all of the money raised through Tab for a Cause and divide it amongst the charities based on the number of Hearts that were donated to each cause during the quarter."

I just made my first donation today; $15 to the Human Rights Watch

Click here to get the plugin and sign up.
It costs absolutely nothing and they don't ask you for any real money. It's all done via opening a new tab.

nope

You don't HAVE to use those, you can make a username and register with your email. I registered using Facebook and it doesn't post anything anyway.

looks cool but i always run an adblocker so i don't think it would be very effective for me

looks cool but i always run an adblocker so i don't think it would be very effective for me

I use AdBlock too but it doesn't block the ads on the New Tab page.

huh. i might look at it when i get home, then

Do they have an Opera extension?

It appears they do not at this point, though I assume it would work with Vivaldi cause it supports Chrome plugins, it's made by the people who made Opera so it's pretty similar.

I've been using this for a while, it feels really nice to be able to donate to charity without having to actually give my own money, even if it is relatively small amounts.

no, and the new tab page wouldn't appear when I installed the chrome version.

are referrals allowed in offtopic? cos that link looks a tad like a referral with the ?r thing on it
but i might just be being too paranoid

this is really neat tho, albeit i dont like it looking at my browsing history, but my isp and stuff already does that so oh well!!!!!!!

i don't like ads, i'll donate real money