Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]

Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]  (Read 100402 times)

I ran the debug version of the noise.cs twice, once with the out-of-the-box version only with the finite terrain size halved and once with the Scriptobjects.cs.
Here are the results:

Default settings

Scriptobjects.cs

Mind sending me the current beta build? Thanks in advance
Sure, I was going to wait until all the issues we've found so far are fixed and then send the updated version, but if y'all prefer I can send out the current one now.

Can't you use http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=147039.0(forceRequiredAddon) and execute the server.cs? I know they're empty, but using trace(1); yields this:So either it's not something you can see in Torquescript, or executing the server.cs of a print addon loads the prints.
That's all I can tell. Someone else can probably help you more, I've hardly touched making add-ons
You can check if they are enabled and if not, just notify the player. Usually forcing add-ons is discouraged either way.
I wanted to force-enable default ModTer prints so that default settings would have prints already setup in the GUI for you. However, for some reason forcing prints doesn't seem to work - the console says they have been executed, but I don't see the prints, even when I can for them with getPrintTexture(#); If all else fails, I'll just recommend enabling them instead.

I ran the debug version of the noise.cs twice, once with the out-of-the-box version only with the finite terrain size halved and once with the Scriptobjects.cs.
Here are the results:

Default settings

Scriptobjects.cs
I checked the log and I think the issue lies with the random number generator and how the engine works on Mac computers. You can see this in the log itself here:
PTG_RandNumGen_Chunk:0 -64 64 1237 35801 72727 50 | 45 45 45 45 || 0 0 0 0
No matter what values are plugged in, the generator always outputs 45, and returns a value of 0, so terrain ends up being the offset height + 0. I'm not exactly sure what would cause that, but there are a few more things we can try to figure out what's breaking the random number function. I'll send you another PM.

When terrain is generating, there is constant console spam, only on my dedicated server.
Is the mod compatible with dedicated servers yet?

All prints seem to be messed up, I select a print and when it generates it uses another print instead.

What do the 'water type' functions do? they seem to do nothing.

How do biomes work? if I configure and enable all biomes a,b and c, only c generates.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:20:54 AM by K3k0m@n »

When terrain is generating, there is constant console spam, only on my dedicated server.
Is the mod compatible with dedicated servers yet?

All prints seem to be messed up, I select a print and when it generates it uses another print instead

What do the 'water type' functions do? they seem to do nothing
Yes, it should have 100% support for dedicated servers. The console messages are normal and part of the add-on, but you can disable them. After opening the main GUI, go to Routines options, then look towards the bottom of the window for a check box for "Allowing Console Echos". Deselecting that option and clicking the Apply And Start button will disable them.

For the prints, try disabling Custom Biome A at the bottom of the Features options, or change the color and print for that biome. Also, mountains always default to red and use the default print, but I fixed that for the next version I'll be sending y'all. Also, the water type options make small changes to water bricks, such as making water hurt players when entered for lava, and disabling waves and adding collision for ice. I fixed these as well for the next release, and will also be adding particle emitters as an additional feature for them.

Fill all the detail slots with one or two versions of a brick, basically max it out, this is what you get.

Yes, it should have 100% support for dedicated servers. The console messages are normal and part of the add-on, but you can disable them. After opening the main GUI, go to Routines options, then look towards the bottom of the window for a check box for "Allowing Console Echos". Deselecting that option and clicking the Apply And Start button will disable them.

For the prints, try disabling Custom Biome A at the bottom of the Features options, or change the color and print for that biome. Also, mountains always default to red and use the default print, but I fixed that for the next version I'll be sending y'all. Also, the water type options make small changes to water bricks, such as making water hurt players when entered for lava, and disabling waves and adding collision for ice. I fixed these as well for the next release, and will also be adding particle emitters as an additional feature for them.
They're not normal messages, they're errors, constantly spamming the console even so that lag occurs.
and for the biomes, I mean like minecraft, in some areas there's a snow biome, keep going and there's a normal biome, I want that sort of feature in the add-on

...post what the errors are?

-pic -
Fill all the detail slots with one or two versions of a brick, basically max it out, this is what you get.
Very cool

Reminds me of some mini-empires landscapes I tried generating:

They're not normal messages, they're errors, constantly spamming the console even so that lag occurs.
and for the biomes, I mean like minecraft, in some areas there's a snow biome, keep going and there's a normal biome, I want that sort of feature in the add-on
Oh okay, would you mind posting your console log with the errors you're getting? Also, that's they way biomes were supposed to generate, but there was an small issue with them that I actually fixed yesterday. The next alpha will include the fix; I tested them to make sure they will generate properly:

When starting a infinite generation on my dedicated server, this is constantly spammed:
Code: [Select]
Add-Ons/System_PTG/Scripts/Routines.cs (21): Unable to find object: 'ServerConnection' attempting to call function 'getPing'
BackTrace: ->PTG_Routine_Append->PTG_Routine_Append_LimitsChk

Okay, yeah that's the lag check the generator runs by accessing the server's current ping. It seems that the "ServerConnection" object isn't created for dedicated servers, so I have to look for another way to check for lag on them. In the mean time, it should still run just fine except for not pausing during lag spikes and console spam, but I'll work on fixing that.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:34:08 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

this has a surprisingly low amt of bugs for the stage its in, tbh

I'm still working on the next version I'll be sending to all the testers. The revised alpha release will include tons of fixes, new additions and GUI improvements. Should be out within the next few days!

Some terrain connecting problems.

Okay, yeah that's the lag check the generator runs by accessing the server's current ping. It seems that the "ServerConnection" object isn't created for dedicated servers, so I have to look for another way to check for lag on them. In the mean time, it should still run just fine except for not pausing during lag spikes and console spam, but I'll work on fixing that.
maybe do something with getRealTime()?