Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]  (Read 100464 times)

if necessary, make two versions: one for Blockland Glass and one stand-alone

blockland glass is good and all but it's not for me

-snip-
Would users need to have Blockland Glass downloaded in order to use PTG, if uploaded?
-snip-

They can get the file directly from the site by using their favourite web browsers.

I'm currently trying to add support for Greek2Me's Support_Updater, but I can't get it to work; I'm guessing it's having trouble accessing the repository file. If anyone's willing to help and has experience using it, it would be much appreciated.
Where are you hosting the repository file?

if necessary, make two versions: one for Blockland Glass and one stand-alone

blockland glass is good and all but it's not for me
Actually, I don't think it requires you to have to download it in order to use the add-ons supported by the service. If not, I'll probably just link the Blockland Glass download on the final release topic.

Yes so they can receive the updates in-game when they're released.
They can get the file directly from the site by using their favourite web browsers.
Thanks guys, if you can download the add-on without having to download Blockland Glass itself then that would be perfect.

Where are you hosting the repository file?
I created an account on GitHub and hosted the repository file there, I even made sure to link the raw data file so that the HTTPS link isn't used. I also tried lowering the version number of some add-ons that used Support_Updater (just to see how it works), but it didn't notify me of an update like it usually does.

I created an account on GitHub and hosted the repository file there, I even made sure to link the raw data file so that the HTTPS link isn't used. I also tried lowering the version number of some add-ons that used Support_Updater (just to see how it works), but it didn't notify me of an update like it usually does.
Support_Updater by default only checks for updates once per day, which can be a little frustrating for testing purposes. I believe Updater.checkForUpdates(); will force it to check repositories.

Setting the update interval to 0 should make it check each time Blockland is opened.

It turns out there was a problem with the link I was using for the repository file; GitHub is probably not the best option for hosting and direct-linking files. Using "Updater.checkForUpdates();" also helped for instantly checking for issues.

I can still release the add-on independently using Support_Updater, but I'll probably just stick with using Blockland Glass, since it has the updater already included and doesn't require for you to to download the service itself when downloading the add-ons. I'll still make a new topic though, it'll just link to the Glass download.

Could be an add-on for a Survival gamemode instead of using static maps (that lag)?

Yes so they can receive the updates in-game when they're released.

No, BLG users only need to have Support_Updater installed to receive updates.

Could be an add-on for a Survival gamemode instead of using static maps (that lag)?
Most defintiely =)

No, BLG users only need to have Support_Updater installed to receive updates.
Just to make sure, I would need to execute the Support_UpdaterDownload.cs script in Client.cs, even though it's uploaded to Blockland Glass?

GitHub is probably not the best option for hosting and direct-linking files.
Another free alternative would be using pastebin. If you make an account you can update pastes indefinitely, and you can grab a page with only text from http://pastebin.com/raw/<pasteid> .

Just to make sure, I would need to execute the Support_UpdaterDownload.cs script in Client.cs, even though it's uploaded to Blockland Glass?

You aren't required to, but yes, you can do that to force people to have Support_Updater.

Another free alternative would be using pastebin. If you make an account you can update pastes indefinitely, and you can grab a page with only text from http://pastebin.com/raw/<pasteid> .
Oh okay, thanks. I'll probably stick with using Blockland Glass for now, but that's definitely an option for the future.

You aren't required to, but yes, you can do that to force people to have Support_Updater.
Great, yeah I'll set it up to require the updater just to be safe.

PTG will be released pubicly tomorrow! In the mean time, check out the first video tutorial, which gives an introduction to the mod, demonstrates how to use the GUIs and even includes an epic montage showing what's possible with the update. =)