Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]  (Read 100447 times)

- pic -

Some terrain connecting problems.
That's probably due to caves, even if they don't actually generate. I'll work on addressing that for the revised alpha release though, thanks.

maybe do something with getRealTime()?
That could work; I believe ping checks how long it takes to relay a command or information from the master server to a host's server. I'm not sure if the master server checks ping for dedicated servers, but maybe I could use getRealTime or getSimTime to check the delay between functions instead.

Btw, I realized that a client needs to be present at all times on dedicated servers for the generator to work, so I'm going to try to add support so that a client can start the generator and then leave the server, and still have it run normally.

Quick question. GSF did you put the download for ptg v3 on your channel Iso7?

Good catch :/ I included the link for version 2, which accidentally got replaced by version 3. It's removed thanks

Good catch :/ I included the link for version 2, which accidentally got replaced by version 3. It's removed thanks

A non-tester got ahold of it. That is how I know. Idk what to do about that though.

Do you know the name of the person who has it? As long as it's an isolated incident that's alright.

Do you know the name of the person who has it? As long as it's an isolated incident that's alright.
Would probably be best not to contact them. They might still think they have V2.

Tried it out, phenomenal job! Haven't seen a major bug yet.

EDIT: Tried Skylands on Infinite, got this:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:12:44 PM by TristanLuigi »

So far the only real issue I'm having is that infinite terrain generates very slowly. You'll keep walking and eventually reach an area without any terrain.

So far the only real issue I'm having is that infinite terrain generates very slowly. You'll keep walking and eventually reach an area without any terrain.
torque script doesn't seem to be the best for generating terrain.

Would probably be best not to contact them. They might still think they have V2.

The person knows :/

The person deleted it. The person understood.

Tried it out, phenomenal job! Haven't seen a major bug yet.

EDIT: Tried Skylands on Infinite, got this:
- pic -
Great, and I'll look into that thanks.

torque script doesn't seem to be the best for generating terrain.
One reason terrain generates so slow is because the default setting for Sub Function Delay is set to 1 millisecond, which causes the generator to wait 1ms everytime it generates a column of bricks. That might not seem like much, but it does slow it down - setting the value to 0 should cause it to be much faster.

Also, there was an issue with the culling / chunk removal routine in which it would constantly add newly created chunks to the amount it had to search through to remove. This would cause the routine to struggle to catch up, since it would hardly ever complete a culling cycle. However, for the revised alpha, it'll gradually update the chunk count only after each cycle. The default setting for the Sub Function Delay will also be lowered slightly, so terrain should update much faster.

The person knows :/

The person deleted it. The person understood.
Oh okay, awesome. I think I may have an idea of who it was because I got a PM the other day from someone asking how to use it; it didn't seem like they had the old version lol. Anyway, I'm glad that's resolved.

Setting these values to 0 creates a lot of lag and fps drops.
Perhaps using a different language and externally generating things could be an option?

Setting these values to 0 creates a lot of lag and fps drops.
Perhaps using a different language and externally generating things could be an option?
That would require him abandoning a huge amount of the work he's done, I think.

That would require him abandoning a huge amount of the work he's done, I think.
I'm saying do both; if the user wants, they could run the program in the background to do the terrain processing more efficiently; or they could use the torquescript generator.
It really wouldn't require abandonment of code; just converting of the code to another language. It'd be easier than you think, especially if it was converted to C, which is where Torquescript's syntax comes from.

I'm saying do both; if the user wants, they could run the program in the background to do the terrain processing more efficiently; or they could use the torquescript generator.
It really wouldn't require abandonment of code; just converting of the code to another language. It'd be easier than you think, especially if it was converted to C, which is where Torquescript's syntax comes from.
Translating Torque into more acceptable languages like C++ or C# isn't exactly straightforward. There are lots of underlying differences with the languages that would still end up meaning that the entire thing pretty much has to be rewritten from scratch.