Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]  (Read 100596 times)

That looks fantastic. It could be a worthy replacement for old maps...
Especially if some nice ski slopes can be generated with it.
Although it is still skiing on bricks, which has always been janky.
But I am sure we can manage.

It makes BL feel so epic

Holy damn! I can't wait for someone to make a survival/resource gathering gamemode ala Minecraft for it.
You know this will happen eventually.
And the infinite generation fits perfectly.

Absolutely can't wait!
I have so many ideas to do with this.

It might even start a new gold age in Blockland!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:08:23 PM by honytawk »

oh i didnt get anything

That looks fantastic. It could be a worthy replacement for old maps...

hey i don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but would it be possible to allow for over 2000 chunks?

It makes BL feel so epic

Nice!

Especially if some nice ski slopes can be generated with it.
Although it is still skiing on bricks, which has always been janky.
But I am sure we can manage.

- Quote -
Holy damn! I can't wait for someone to make a survival/resource gathering gamemode ala Minecraft for it.
You know this will happen eventually.
And the infinite generation fits perfectly.

Absolutely can't wait!
I have so many ideas to do with this.

It might even start a new gold age in Blockland!
Infinite survival and resource gathering is definitely possible with the add-on. =) Build loading would also add an interesting aspect to infinite generation.

oh i didnt get anything
I'm only sending the revised Pre-Release build to previous testers who request it. Did you want to try it?

hey i don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but would it be possible to allow for over 2000 chunks?
Of course, that wouldn't be difficult at all. How high should it be increased, like up to 4000?

Wow, this is rather impressive. Hopefully once you release this to the public (if you do), then Badspot makes this default. That'd be really neat.

How high should it be increased, like up to 4000?

Make it a preference. Make everything a preference.

It makes BL feel so epic

i could feel my heart flutter when i looked at that

id like to get in on this pre pre release but I probably will forget yet again to look at it :(

ill just wait for public release and in the meanwhile finish up my local chat mod for anyone who wants to use it with this
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:12:28 AM by Conan »

What's the point of limiting the chunks?

Probably to reduce the lag when it loads chunks from an infinitely growing file.

So how does the saving of generated landscapes work when you close down the server?
Does this happen all in the GUI or do I need to use Blocklands default saving?

If you remember the seed number and don't change (or just remember) your settings then if you go to the same position it should be the same landscape generated. You can save the bricks too, I did that to be able to duplicate some nice caves I found (had to load bricks with PTG disabled to use duplicator).

I can already feel the people complaining about this being a "copy" of Minecraft...

Wow, this is rather impressive. Hopefully once you release this to the public (if you do), then Badspot makes this default. That'd be really neat.
That would certainly be awesome if Badspot made it default. =) If the add-on can be used to create brand new, exciting gamemodes that weren't possible before, and proves to be really useful, who knows it could happen.

Make it a preference. Make everything a preference.
You can adjust the limit by using one of the sliders with the GUI, he just means the hard limit that's built into the add-on. I can easily increase that to whatever is needed.

Probably to reduce the lag when it loads chunks from an infinitely growing file.
Yeah, it basically just helps to reduce lag by reducing the amount of chunk objects the generator has to manage, and also helps keep the brickcount down, since bricks are handled within those chunks. It's meant mainly for infinite terrain, when chunks are constantly being generated and removed relative to players. If this limit is exceeded, the generator will wait a few seconds so that unneeded chunk objects / bricks can be removed, then will continue generating.

So how does the saving of generated landscapes work when you close down the server?
Does this happen all in the GUI or do I need to use Blocklands default saving?
You can use Blockland's saving option, however when a .bls save is loaded, the generator won't recognize those bricks as being generated, so most of the options with PTG won't apply to them. The best method is to save a GUI preset before closing your server, with the defined area of the landscape you want to keep. If the landscape was modified in any way, such as if players build on the terrain, those chunks to be also saved to file and reloaded the next time it's generated.

I can already feel the people complaining about this being a "copy" of Minecraft...
I'm sure some people will complain; someone even said awhile back that I was ripping off other generators, which obviously isn't true lol. I'm not going to worry about that though; every once in a while a game comes a long that leads to some new innovation in the industry, and Minecraft was one of them. This isn't a copy of Minecraft, but was inspired by it. PTG can also do things Minecraft's generator can't (although Minecraft's generator is much more advanced).

How high should it be increased, like up to 4000?
Would it be possible to make it infinite?