Mafia Madness (too) [BETA] [OFFLINE] [Public Beta v2.2.1; Deathville v1.1.0]

Poll

What alignment would you like to see expanded in Mafia Madness? (elaboration appreciated)

The Innocents
15 (29.4%)
The Mafia
8 (15.7%)
Unaligned Good
2 (3.9%)
Unaligned Neutral
11 (21.6%)
Unaligned Evil
8 (15.7%)
Something else?? (elaborate in post)
7 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Mafia Madness (too) [BETA] [OFFLINE] [Public Beta v2.2.1; Deathville v1.1.0]  (Read 24893 times)

got a BSOD lol

anyway as of tonight all standard roles are now implemented!

i'm not done working on this yet but now we can move on to some more interesting stuff

did u fix the bug i sent you
the particular bug you mentioned shouldn't be a problem but i'll have to investigate/develop vent/godfather interactions a bit more. the problem now is that they don't interact at all and that's something i need to work on because it can cause gameplay problems/holes as well as inconsistencies with the original MM

speaking of which, someone brought this up in the server today and i'm interested to see if people think it should be kept.

i'm also working on creating a rebalanced gamemode that should result in more interesting/more random role assignment. while, of course, not being so random as to make gameplay inconsistent. it'll include roles that aren't assigned in the standard MM gamemode but are in the original MM (naive cop, insane cop, millers) as well as an optional 10% (or whatever percentage set) chance to spawn the crazy as The Law instead.

the main reason i'm doing this is because some of the role assignment tendencies don't work very well at lower playercounts. which is a problem because MM gets unmanageable and chaotic at higher playercounts. i like to keep the server at ~12 max players but it should still scale decently to higher playercounts (in fact you may only see every role in a round if you were to set the player count more around 20, which is a good thing)

i also added in the devil for testing, and i updated the rules a little bit. i'll have to revise them at some point but for now i'll just add stuff on.

also, feel free to suggest ideas! roles, tweaks, etc. are all welcome suggestions and just hearing them can help me better understand how to develop this!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:49:10 PM by otto-san »

u shud add these roles

jester
innocent that wins by convincing his fellow innocents to kill him. not actually a mafia so he can't just start killing people so people will kill him.

hunter
innocent that stays alive for 5 seconds after being shot. their guns are instantly reloaded at this period.

repentant
mafia who thinks theyre innocent. they have no access to special mafia stuff and they appear innocent to everybody except the mafia, who knows they are a fellow mafia. they automatically become aware that they're a mafia once the rest of the mafias are dead.

jester
innocent that wins by convincing his fellow innocents to kill him. not actually a mafia so he can't just start killing people so people will kill him.
we actually had an idea almost exactly like this last night when we were thinking about a joke role called the clown
he wouldn't be able to attack people, but he would have a horn that he could trigger by clicking, and his goal would be to get killed. might actually do it because it sounds hilarious

hunter
innocent that stays alive for 5 seconds after being shot. their guns are instantly reloaded at this period.
interesting idea. we have some other things in mind as well that may ultimately achieve the same ends, so we'll have to see what works

repentant
mafia who thinks theyre innocent. they have no access to special mafia stuff and they appear innocent to everybody except the mafia, who knows they are a fellow mafia. they automatically become aware that they're a mafia once the rest of the mafias are dead.
would be an interesting wildcard role like the miller. throws a wrench in strategy on both sides. might make for some interesting play, but it's hard to tell how actual human players would react to it if they aren't invested in one group from the start.

i may not host tonight because i'm trying to get some stuff working but we'll see
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:43:05 PM by otto-san »

I don't see it on the checklist, but do you have mm ignore in the script yet?

I don't see it on the checklist, but do you have mm ignore in the script yet?
yes

sorry that i haven't hosted in the past couple of days. i don't want to host until i have something new to show and it's taking a while to get something together
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:19:14 PM by otto-san »

good news!!!!!!

i'm hosting and testing out a brand new experimental innocent role WOW!!!

don't imss it!! be there or be square!!!!

added the bubble buddy innocent role which activates a protective shield whenever they or someone nearby is shot
the shield will not activate if the damage source is within range of the bubble

added spectator mode bottomprint, slightly modified bottomprint ui

tonight, we'll be testing the clown, which is an unaligned role whose goal is to get killed. they have no weapons, but they can honk a horn. it's mostly just a joke role but it'll be fun at least
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:06:33 PM by otto-san »

OK i got some GOOD ideas 4 u

genestealer
innocent whose goal is to get killed. if he's killed by a fellow innocent, that person instantly dies and the genestealer steals their identity. the genestealer also becomes a generic mafia after being killed by an innocent.

but he's not like the clown wheres hes obnoxious as forget he just looks like a regular innocent

evil cop
mafia whose goal is to kill people indirectly by tricking people into lynching them. he can investigate people and get their full role once each night, but his weapon does no damage.

amnesiac
innocent that can take the role of a dead person after the first day. he can take both innocent and mafia roles

ghost whisperer
innocent that receives a single anonymous tip from a dead person each night

satanist
mafia that can go to a special altar in front of the pyramid and channel a magic spell to resurrect a single corpse  on the altar into a devil cop each night.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:28:22 AM by Niblic² »

evil cop is almost just like the devil

playing devil is a bit of an imperfect art atm

someone who's the devil should ideally be able to successfully counter-claim the cop, the prob is that playing cop isn't rly a good idea for the mafia since having confirmed innocents removes cards from the table and you obv don't want to out your fellow mafia

please host tonight i missed out last one because i thought it was down

please host tonight i missed out last one because i thought it was down
at this point i think it's a bit too late, but i have nothing new to show atm anyway

tho tbh i'm starting to run out of ideas. i've laid some framework for a HUD mod but i'm not sure what i would want it to actually look like. i'm also not sure how i would want to revise the rules, from both a technical standpoint and a usage standpoint.

as for new roles, it's hard to think of something that actually changes the way people play the game. it's nice to add roles that are just fun like The Law and The Clown, but things that bring something of value to the game itself is tough. right now i feel like the inno game is a bit weak, but i'm unsure of how to resolve that problem. people have always remarked that playing inno is one of the most uninteresting parts of gameplay, and i want to somehow fix that problem.

coded in a super-experimental unaligned role called the Amnesiac, who can take the role of a corpse. when they take the role, they become that role entirely, having access to all its abilities, and becoming its alignment. all players will be given a notification in the format of "The Amnesiac has remembered that they are the (x)!" if the amnesiac takes a mafia role, the mafia will also receive a notification revealing the identity of the new player. the amnesiac has no win conditions if they do not take a role, and thus will not be included in any win checks. that is to say, if all that remains are the mafia and the amnesiac, the mafia will claim a victory, and if all that remains are the innocents and the amnesiac, the innocents will claim a victory. if only the amnesiac is left, the game is considered a draw. of course, if the amnesiac becomes an innocent or mafia, they will be treated as such.

also coded in the super-experimental Spy innocent role, who can listen in on the godfather chat. the spy doesn't know the names of any mafs using it, all they can see is an obfuscated name (which stays the same per-player on a per-round basis). the spy has the potential to be extremely punishing to the mafia, which would make it a prime target for the maf to discover. as such, it adds another inno role that can play a unique role in sniffing out the mafia.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:01:44 PM by otto-san »