Author Topic: BattleBlox Modding Competition  (Read 3713 times)

Da Idea

So, I had this really cool idea today, for some reason I'm not exactly sure about; A huge robot smash-em-up, called Battleblox; Just to show (newbies) the creativity of the Blockland, the skill of it's modders, and what we can do.

The Battleblox Competition is a modding competition in which modellers, coders, and scripters all work together to make vehicles that can throw down with the best of 'em, while still having enough honor to not make a vehicle that has enough power in a single bullet shot to absolutely destory any opponent, without having a weakness in itself.

Da Rules

There's only 2 rules to the Battleblox competition, but they are very simple and easy to follow;

The first rule being that no vehicle or weapon can be outright pwnsome without having a glaring weakness; Like, it's OK to mount a sniper rifle onto your robot, but it's not OK to mount a rapid-fire machine gun that fires rockets at ridiculous speed; The bots will be tested before the match for any foul play. This rule is stated, because the Battleblox competition isn't about winning as much as it is ingenuity and fun.

The second rule is that before fighting in the BattleBlox competition, you have to submit a picture of the vehicle you're adding to the mix. There's no secrets in Battleblox.

Da Details

There's a few more things that should be added to this description before I finish up and leave you to join; They aren't exactly huge issues, just minor facts about the competition.
  • The fighting will be done in the Blocko Stadium.
  • 4 vehicles will be in the arena at once.
  • Anyone can enter, as long as you know how to make a vehicle, and strap a weapon onto it.
  • The competition doesn't have a set date yet; I will post 3 days before the competition begins with the details.

Da Competition

...No one... :(
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:56:55 PM by Bushido »

So helping AND entering. Pwn idea, and I think you can pull it off.

So its a competition to see who makes the coolest mech? As an add-on?

Not as much as a mech as a little battle machine. If you've seen the show BattleBots, you'd get the idea.

So uh, where do I enter crash bot?

mwahahaha all I have to do is crash into the other robot >:3

But seriously.... too open ended. By showing what I can do, could I persay, unload a killbot? impulse the other robot by an insane amount when I collide with it? I would probably end up making it fly up above the arena and drop bombs. Convenient way to get rid of your non-flying non-shoot upward counterparts.

Or just make a jeep that autoscales to 0.1 0.1 0.1 so any bullets would go over it, attach a gun or two and let it go.

Self Delete bomb anyone?

I'd join if there were more people.

I can see some arguments over collisions, e.g. OMG I HIT YOUR ____ !!!! NO FAIR!!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:31:29 AM by Night-Stalker »

Bushido if you like I'll help you with setting up, building arena, ect.

I have the Badspot Mecha beta thing from my server, maybe I'll give it random weapons and stuff if people sign up. (It's a massive Blockhead you control like the Horse)

Will it be me controlling it or do I have to make AI too?

It'll be you controlling it, with an RC controller.

I'll help with general stuffs.

I've already set up, we're using the old Blocko Stadium as the arena. Thanks anyways.

My disappointment is palpable.

If no-one joins, than I guess the event'll close.

I might join. A few questions though.

1. How does one lose? Having there vehicle blown up? Being knocked upside down? Being knocked into a pit with magma, spikes, and blockheads waiting to melt, impale, and hammer-smack anything on sight? Getting pushed into a barrel of ice cream (not the word that filters to ice cream)? Getting killed randomly by some guy by the name of Bushido walking around killing everyone with a shotgun? Getting turned into a :cookie: and being devoured by :cookieMonster: ?

2. Can the models look like crap?  :cookieMonster: I'm not a very good modeler, I'd prefer to stick with coding.

3. Can we have multiple weapons? I'm thinking of using a few weapons, switchable with a command.

Also, I really don't like the "work together" part. I think everyone should do it by themself. Those unable to model, though, can use a very basic model that someone posts.

1: You loose by having your vehicle explode, ravaged, or otherwise done in.

2: The models can look like anything except phallic objects.

3: Multiple weapons are fine, as long as they aren't all stupidly powerful.

If you join, let me know.