Blockland Native Linux Support & How well blockland works in Wine

Author Topic: Blockland Native Linux Support & How well blockland works in Wine  (Read 1399 times)

I have recently started dualbooting Linux Mint. It's absolutely incredible, would recommend, but that's not the point. What I'm here to say is how close blockland is to native Linux support, why it should be added, and how well it currently works on wine

Blockland currently works on Windows and Mac. The thing that's important for Linux support is that it already works on Mac, which is a system based off of Darwin which is based off of BSD which Unix-Like. Linux is Unix-like as well, meaning their systems work quite similarly. For example, the terminal program nano will work both on Mac and Linux, and almost any other Unix-based OS. This, in short, means that Blockland is pretty close to native Linux support.
Why should Native Linux support be added? You've mentioned it works well in wine! Well, first of all, steam. Steam does not even allow the installation of programs where the developer has  not specified that it works on the OS you are running. This means anyone who's bought the game on Steam cannot download Blockland off of Steam. Secondly is that it detours a Linux user from buying the game off the Blockland website. There's only a chance that any old game you find will even work in Wine, and if it does work, it's very likely that it will be glitchy or some features won't work. There's no guarantee the game will be enjoyable on their system, and they're probably not going to want to throw money at it until it gets native support. Lastly, with SteamOS, native Linux support would mean the ability for people to play Blockland on Steam Machines, which have the potential to be huge.

Now, I want to show some pictures of Blockland running in wine. All I did was head to https://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu and press "click this link to install the wine1.6 package.". I know it says Ubuntu, but it worked for me on Mint as well, and I'd imagine it'd work on any distro with apt-get. Before I talk any sooner, here's some screenshots of blockland running through wine, in Linux Mint 17.2:

VV Fullscreen mode, Max Shaders VV

VV Windowed mode. Max Shaders VV

As you can see, it works with fullscreen mode, shaders, and everything. I was expected it to barely work 1/2 the time in windowed mode and have no shaders, but this blew me away. Would it really be that hard to implement native support?

(Apologies for the page stretch)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:19:47 AM by superdupercoolguy »

The thing that's important for Linux support is that it already works on Mac, which is a system based off of Darwin which is based off of BSD which Unix-Like. Linux is Unix-like as well, meaning their systems work quite similarly. For example, the terminal program nano will work both on Mac and Linux, and almost any other Unix-based OS. This, in short, means that Blockland is pretty close to native Linux support.
The thing is, that they are so vastly different that it is easier to run windows programs on linux, I.E. Wine. Until recently there has been no OS X equivalent to Wine on Linux

The thing that's important for Linux support is that it already works on Mac, which is a system based off of Darwin which is based off of BSD which Unix-Like. Linux is Unix-like as well, meaning their systems work quite similarly. For example, the terminal program nano will work both on Mac and Linux, and almost any other Unix-based OS. This, in short, means that Blockland is pretty close to native Linux support.
The thing is, that they are so vastly different that it is easier to run windows programs on linux, I.E. Wine. Until recently there has been no OS X equivalent to Wine on Linux

Um... There's, you know, Wine for mac? When I used OSX(cringe), I once ran the Windows version of Blockland in Wine. Why? For a desperate attempt to get shaders. Still didn't work.

seems like it'd be a fair amount of work for little gain

seems like it'd be a fair amount of work for little gain
It already works in OSX, I doubt it'd be too much work.

It already works in OSX, I doubt it'd be too much work.
You're almost definitely underestimating how much of a clusterforget Torque has become this deep into the game's development.

i dont mean to put you down but this has been done many, many times before

As an independent developer I doubt he'd waste all that time and money developing for an OS that less than 2% of desktop owners use and even less gamers use for gaming. It just doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint.

He might as well make a version for the Commodore64 while he's at it.

There's no point, it works perfectly fine in Wine, plus:
As an independent developer I doubt he'd waste all that time and money developing for an OS that less than 2% of desktop owners use and even less gamers use for gaming. It just doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint.

edit: coming from a linux user

i use it on debian 8, minor keyboard issue but pretty stable

Since it runs so well in wine, couldn't he say it's compatible with Linux on its Steam page and just make a note that Wine is required? Steam seems to run .exe s in Wine for me, perhaps it'd do it with official games aswell?

Since it runs so well in wine, couldn't he say it's compatible with Linux on its Steam page and just make a note that Wine is required? Steam seems to run .exe s in Wine for me, perhaps it'd do it with official games aswell?
If you just install the windows version of steam this problem is solved

what would that be?
For me, whenever I would switch out to another virtual desktop and then back to Blockland on Linux Mint, the text would mess up and when you were typing a message it'd treat keystrokes as if you weren't typing one (example, if you pressed E while typing a message the paint menu would come up) and most of the keys wouldn't do anything. For some reason, /Self Delete fixed it.
It never happened in Elementary OS though.