Author Topic: onConnectRequest conflicting client mods  (Read 2793 times)

Wait, what?
There must be some drawback that you (and I) aren't seeing with this method. Because preventing someone from joining without a disconnect message was the whole point of dealing with the problems of using onConnectRequest.

Eh, not necessarily. Things like startLoad and what he mentioned work fine. I've used them for a few projects including System_ContentPreload.

But nonetheless, here's an "alright" solution to the problem which I used for GameMode_Viridian_RPG + Client_Viridian_RPG last year: https://github.com/portify/blockland-libraries/tree/master/client-module
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:21:53 PM by portify »

Wait, what?
There must be some drawback that you (and I) aren't seeing with this method. Because preventing someone from joining without a disconnect message was the whole point of dealing with the problems of using onConnectRequest. If there was a better alternative, someone would had to have found it by now

missionstartphase3ack is at least better than using autoadmincheck w/ disconnect because it lets them communicate on the server if they need help.  They can then disconnect themselves after they download the client add-on.  Then it will let them load in.

onConnectRequest would be preferred it that were feasible, but it turns out it will not work for a significant portion of blocklanders who have conflicting client mods.  It would prevent a lot of the initial connect / disconnects when people are first getting the client mod.  Oh well, at least there's the silver lining I mentioned above.

thanks everyone

missionstartphase3ack is at least better than using autoadmincheck w/ disconnect because it lets them communicate on the server if they need help.

For a typical server, you wouldn't want this. You would want them to say something to the add-on author, not the server host. If its a private add-on (or whatever) then you'll usually have a topic for the server anyway.

For a typical server, you wouldn't want this. You would want them to say something to the add-on author, not the server host. If its a private add-on (or whatever) then you'll usually have a topic for the server anyway.
The communication I'm thinking of is if they need help installing the client mod to the right directory or something.  Most hosts or even other players can help people do that easily.  

What were you thinking of that they should need to talk to the author about?

What were you thinking of that they should need to talk to the author about?

It seems like other client mods which also use this function interfere.  People end up having to delete other client mods which use this function just so it will recognize they have my client mod downloaded.

Wait, nvm that's for the other method (onConnectRequest), disregard that.