Author Topic: Narkro's car got #rekt  (Read 2215 times)

Well, not fully. I just broke the headlight and dented the bumper, but it still sucks. I'll tell you the story.

I was going back home from my job, which is an hour-plus commute across three highways with the car my brother and I share when at home. I get paid minimum wage, but I figured since I'm not paying room, board, or gas, and that it's pretty fun, a summer job is worth it. However, as I was pulling onto the first interstate, a woman made a quick stop at a light I didn't see, and I slammed on the breaks. I was looking over at the traffic to my left, not expected a stop light, and yet still driving the speed limit. I drove to the shoulder, and she followed. She lost some paint, and my right headlight shattered, though the bulb still works. I did step-by-step what I remember from driving school: Calmly share info with the other people, call police for a report, get out license and registration, and call insurance provider. The cop was nice and told me he's seen this many times, and should be happy I wasn't hurt. The lady also seemed relieved because her insurance covered it, as I assume did mine. All-in-all, things seemed pretty okay, although my driving anxiety was heightened again.

Then I got home. I'll sum up the consequences:
1. My nerves are forgeted, which were already bad when it came to driving.
2. I get to drive around with a beat-up looking car, which already looked bad from the massive, unfixable dent my brother put in the door.
3. I have to drive it to the shop and wait a day to see if they can repair it.

I think I deserve these things. Getting scared stuffless is probably one of the best ways to learn something, not to mention having to deal with fixing it. But I left out one consequence: I will be paying the deductible, hopefully only part of it, which is 500 USD.

Now, people with wages either non-existent or higher than mine could easily say, "You deserve this, it's a good consequence, suck it up." Well, for this next week and a half, I have to do that hour long commute across three highways just to try to not lose as much money, rather than get more to save for my future. This feels like me getting off my ass this summer and getting another job will be made essentially worthless because of a mistake all new drivers are very likely to make, and especially ones as minor as this. That's not the only reasoning though.

My brother, which sits on his ass and refuses to do any chores all day and has never had a paying job yet alone any sort of real commute, put a massive, ugly dent in the side of the car. Cost-wise, his accident is 3000x+ worse, and it was because he turned and ran into a truck, likely because of not using a turn signal as usual. I, however, was following all traffic laws, and especially after I crashed. The difference between our reaction is that my brother forgot to call the insurance company like he was supposed to, and therefore we have this dent in our door forever.

He doesn't have to pay anything. Not one god damn penny. And usually I wouldn't care about this if I weren't getting monetarily punished infinitely more than he was, for a lesser mistake and for following the law. I don't deserve to ultimately be punished for taking a difficult job with a relatively miniscule slip-up so many people do. My nerve-wracking stress is slowly being replaced by anger at having everything go to waste in such an unfair manner.

They should be deciding on what to do tonight. I can only hope my father changes her mind, else my promising job turns into one big gut-wrenching long term punishment.

TL;DR: I made a minor crash from a surprise about an unfamiliar highway's on-ramp, and am expecting a massive monetary punishment. This makes my summer job a loss, and is especially unfair since my brother with a far worse crash and no job hasn't had to pay anything.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:02:38 PM by Narkro555 »

tell your parents how you feel about your brother not getting punished i guess

wont help the lightbulb but it might let off some of your steam

tell your parents how you feel about your brother not getting punished i guess

wont help the lightbulb but it might let off some of your steam
They said the damage he caused would be worth 20,000 dollars to fix, and therefore he doesn't have to pay for it. Since mine is payable, I have to pay for it (although its the full deductible, a headlamp doesn't cost 500 dollars).

Five years I've been driving and I've yet to have a wreck or get a ticket. How do you even have an accident?

Give me a sec to read thru, insurance stuff is my job.

Five years I've been driving and I've yet to have a wreck or get a ticket. How do you even have an accident?
as I was pulling onto the first interstate, a woman made a quick stop at a light I didn't see, and I slammed on the breaks. I was looking over at the traffic to my left, not expected a stop light, and yet still driving the speed limit.
I'm a good driver. I won't ever get a ticket, but this was out of the blue and not due to any sort of carelessness or neglect of law.

my first accident sucked real bad
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=242548.msg7998481#msg7998481
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=242548.msg7998953#msg7998953

it was my mom's boyfriend's car
he ended up just buying a new one (still a mini cooper s though)
I'm, like, legally not allowed to drive it? apparently it was part of his insurance thing
wow, you're so much better than everyone else, I would just love to hang out some time

stuff happens?
just because he got in an accident doesn't mean it was his fault

Nah you weren't paying attention driving the two ton death trap. You deserve the deductible at least. You're also lucky she isn't pursuing you for damages to her can since it seems you're at fault. The rates going up will suck though, my sympathies in that part.

If you're watching traffic instead of the car in front of you its your problem.

Nah you weren't paying attention driving the two ton death trap. You deserve the deductible at least. You're also lucky she isn't pursuing you for damages to her can since it seems you're at fault. The rates going up will suck though, my sympathies in that part.

you didn't even ask how fast he was going or how close he was following OR how long he looked away

if you're lucky, you'll get into an accident one day, and someone will talk to you like this

you didn't even ask how fast he was going or how close he was following OR how long he looked away
It's also the internet and I'm not at my job. From the info given I'd say he's at fault. If you want me to get into it like an actual claim I can for funzies.

if you're lucky, you'll get into an accident one day, and someone will talk to you like this
I'd prefer people to be straight forward with me sure.

forget off. You don't pursue damages for lost paint, yet alone someone without deep pockets, stop being melodramatic. Last time I checked, checking your surroundings is something you do as a driver, and happening to check at just the wrong time is not something you can wave off as carelessness on my part. I'm not sure if you actually read the OP but the cop who came told me this spot was not uncommon for fender benders.

a rude tone isn't straightforward
you're acting like you're saying this while you sip some monster energy drink and say dude 3 times a sentence

I'd prefer people to be straight forward with me sure.
weren't you just bragging about how socially adept you are? I don't think normal people try to make other people feel bad about tiny, meaningless accidents that they're already stressed out about

Kaz is right, from what it sounds like, both parties are at fault for the accident.

There's no real way to determine whether or not you knowing of the stop light ahead of time would have prevented the accident, but just that information alone can suggest that you weren't paying full attention to the road. On the other hand a quick, random stop can be a dangerous maneuver to make with traffic behind you