Blockland Development

Poll

How do you feel about Blockland's current state of development?

Very Satisfied
Pretty Satisfied
Indifferent
Unsatisfied
Very Unsatisfied
It's probably only bug fixes from here on out :c
We were better off keeping Interiors and Terrain

Author Topic: Blockland Development  (Read 3619 times)

The community are the ones who supply the content,
Yes, and that's what we've always been doing, However, the engine still has limits. We could just keep supplying weapons and vehicles but people then realize that it gets a little boring, and we need updates to get people motivated again. We don't have full control of the game by add-ons and it's up to the creator to add more possibilities. After all, the game is old now and should just be remade or abandoned.

How on earth has this game gotten such a disgustingly entitled community? This is literally the only place I've ever seen this problem, jesus.

However, the engine still has limits. We could just keep supplying weapons and vehicles but people then realize that it gets a little boring, and we need updates to get people motivated again. We don't have full control of the game by add-ons and it's up to the creator to add more possibilities. After all, the game is old now and should just be remade or abandoned.
Exactly.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. Sub Rosa is an early access game currently, and the post was one of a few about changing engine to something more mainstream, since the game is on a small, independent engine for a blocky style.
The point I was making is more to point out how stupid suggesting an engine change off hand is.
I would hardly call those game changing, barring vehicle physics, and even then there are ways around most of them. Regardless most of those seem to be deeper/fundamental issues in the game that might not be fixable quickly.

Also you have a very negative view of the community. Most modders and addon makers are content with the response they get from the community, I can't think of anyone else who left for that reason. Ephi seemed to think he deserved more I guess.

An early access game? How the forget? Not sure how you get a comparison out of that besides the engine change remark, and I know blockland is never gonna do it. Yeah. Not gonna happen. I know. :(
I did mention the 18 months that it would probably take, right? Therefore it wasn't exactly an off-hand suggestion.

Also, all of those are game changing IMO. Mainly because they have bothered me for ages.
Can you offer your creative solutions around these?

How on earth has this game gotten such a disgustingly entitled community? This is literally the only place I've ever seen this problem, jesus.
Probably because games like G-Mod and other games with the same payment style as Blockland have set up expectations to be updated once every 6 months at least? And other communities don't feel entitled this way because they actually GET those updates?

Probably because games like G-Mod and other games with the same payment style as Blockland have set up expectations to be updated once every 6 months at least? And other communities don't feel entitled this way because they actually GET those updates?
Congrats to those big successful games on being able to sustain constant updates. You cannot even remotely compare those to Blockland, G-mod might be about the same age but it has an active development team, not one guy and sometimes his friends.
But come to think of it, I also really cannot think of any games as old as Blockland that are still updated other than G-mod, probably for a reason.

After all, the game is old now and should just be remade or abandoned.
This is a terrible attitude. Just because something has limitations doesn't mean you should entirely give up on it.

Can you offer your creative solutions around these?
Precipitation going through buildings can be solved with zone bricks lining the ceilings. If you compare recent vehicles to older ones the handling is definitely improved. The fog line can be avoided if the fog distance is lower than the view distance. Transparency is something situational, but I have worked around it in the past, and I haven't encountered whatever the other things you mentioned.

the game is like a decade old
im fine with its current state of development

Until every add-on creator gets Ephi'd, right?
then new makers will come and make better addons

To suggest an engine upgrade and actually expect it to be done is a thousand times more ridiculous than any slow development cycle.

This is a terrible attitude. Just because something has limitations doesn't mean you should entirely give up on it.
No, but you would expect a game on an engine as old as this to just be abandoned after a while, everyone moves on.

No, but you would expect a game on an engine as old as this to just be abandoned after a while, everyone moves on.
And you should be thankful that it hasn't been. What's your point here?

Blockland doesn't to be updated. All the lazy hosts just need to start making better servers.

Blockland doesn't to be updated. All the lazy hosts just need to start making better servers.
i'm up for the challenge.

And you should be thankful that it hasn't been. What's your point here?
What he's saying is that most people expand their limitations, rather than live under them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:36:43 PM by tony-0222 »

What he's saying is that most people expand their limitations, rather than live under them.
Most people don't spend over a decade of their life working on a single game on their own. That seems like the kind of thing that would make one very very wary of overstretching themselves.

Hire people
Sell it
Open Source
Move on