Author Topic: What's the problem with political correctness?  (Read 708 times)

A big thing I see today is frustration over how politically correct the USA is. I feel that if this country were the opposite, people would be at each others throats. Another thing is, I see that many groups who want this country to be less politically correct get pissed off when someone insults them and does the same to them. Maybe it's our history of racism and discrimination? The mash up of many cultures here? Do you guys think we should strive to eliminate political correctness? If so, why?

it ruins comedy, that's what the problem is

Political correctness isn't necessarily a bad thing per-say. In excess however it can get on a lot of peoples nerves. Especially in the states. It kind of crosses into that grey-area in relation to freedom of speech and other forms of expression. It's also changed form over the years, i think we have less Political correctness than we did back then.

In my opinion, we need political correctness. However, what we also need, is for people to grow a sense of humor.

Or rather, people should expect to be offended and should be able to cope with being offended in life.
One issue of political correctness is when it goes too far to try and ensure that no one is ever offended.

I feel there needs to be a balance between the two. Where people learn to not get offended over everything and people who actually insult others for no reason are bashed for it.

I feel there needs to be a balance between the two.
As with every problem everywhere. If the world were a little more grey we'd be a lot happier.

the idea of political correctness is, ideally, useless if people actually manage to get along. If you feel the need to implement any sort of political correctness on for example a school ground, you have other things to worry about than just harsh language being used, things that are probably more immediately concerning than language.