Poll

How should the perpetrators be tried?

Adult court
Juvenile court

Author Topic: "Slender Man stabbing" girls face adult court  (Read 3732 times)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/slender-man-stabbing-judge-decide-teens-adults/story?id=32988388

This interesting story popped up on my home page. While the actual case was a year ago, only now has the proceedings begun.

Basically, two girls were convinced the Slender Man creepypasta stories were real. They wanted to become his "proxies" and live in his mansion in the forest, and the only way to achieve this was to murder one of their friends. They lured her into the woods and stabbed her 19 times, but fortunately she survived.

The question of this topic is, should they really be tried in adult court? They would face 65 years in prison, rather than 5 years of rehabilitation in Juvenile prison. What do you think?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:21:56 PM by Narkro555 »

apparently one stab wound missed a major blood vein/artery/whatever by a millimeter

i don't necessarily like the idea of locking twelve-year-olds up for 65 years

How do you survive 19 stabbings?

as a kid, it's easier for me (and everyone else on this forum) to say that they should be tried as adults, but I don't think so
they were like, twelve years old
instead of ruining the rest of their lives forever, for no real reason, it would be a lot better to actually try to help them
it's not unusual

5 is too low and 65 is too high
maybe 10?

Untrained 12yr olds blindly stabbing, you can survive great amounts of damage

They were 12, convinced to be stupid twats by stupid memes.

They should be helped.

i feel like juvenile would suit them better. after all they're twelve year olds, so five years is almost half of their lives, which means that for them it's a considerably large amount of time.

they didn't manage to kill her, and when they get out of juvenile they'd already be 17, so that's around the time one should be in 12th grade or graduating high school, and they haven't even entered high school.

I don't know about 65 years, but 12 is more than old enough to know that stabbing/murdering a person is wrong and they should be held responsible for their actions.

these girls are stupid

but 65 years is way too much

i don't necessarily like the idea of locking twelve-year-olds up for 65 years
whether it be locking up or madhouse, they gotta go somewhere.

imagine what these individuals would do in the future if they were easily manipulated to kill somebody from a creepypasta and a videogame

Luck, vital organs missed, not bleeding out completly. Humans don't have health bars like in video games

as a kid, it's easier for me (and everyone else on this forum) to say that they should be tried as adults, but I don't think so
they were like, twelve years old
instead of ruining the rest of their lives forever, for no real reason, it would be a lot better to actually try to help themit's not unusual
One of my community policing/patrol procedures professors(also retired cop) lost his mind and was speechless when he heard about this case. I think the original premise was about video game violence and youth and the effect it has on the mind. I mean this whole thing was just an ARG that was made into several games and a meme, and somehow these two kids are convinced slender man is a real entity that will let them live in a mansion.

The human mind is strange. One could argue that these kids didn't process the consequences fully because their brains are still developing, and the other could argue that these kids had the mind of an adult and knew fully what they were doing was wrong. When I was 8 I knew that killing people was and wrong and meant jail time + prison, but apparently kids think otherwise.

I am conflicted though about this issue.

i feel like juvenile would suit them better. after all they're twelve year olds, so five years is almost half of their lives, which means that for them it's a considerably large amount of time.

they didn't manage to kill her, and when they get out of juvenile they'd already be 17, so that's around the time one should be in 12th grade or graduating high school, and they haven't even entered high school.
Attempted murder is still a felony. They could send them to prison call it day, the prison wont fix them and they'll lose a chunk of their life for something they committed as kids. On the other hand they can send them to juvy where they wont really get fixed, they'll walk out and there will be chance they'll attempt something like this again because for all we know there is something wrong with the way to think and perceive the world. The other option is juvy+extended prison time and rehabilitation.

We don't really know how to "reform" or "rehabilitate" people. We can break a person, but correcting or fixing something we perceive to be a problem is both subjective and difficult. I guess you could try convincing them to change, but deep down within only one's self can make that choice to change. Either way, most people just hope it sorts itself out by having the problem swept under a rug to be forgotten like a candy wrapper being thrown away.