Author Topic: how do you feel about our school system?  (Read 1782 times)

Understanding how the world and the universe operates is generally useful and makes for a more logical and deductive person.
I feel like if teaching this kind of stuff had poor returns there would be more of a discussion, yet the only detractors seem to be butthurt 11th graders who don't understand trigonometry.
small talk? if you ask some in your high school what they want to be, they will usually say something like a nurse or they may say they're unsure.
Anecdotal evidence.

70 percent of students change major after enrollment, study finds

Attendance shouldn't matter if you're passing, IMO. That and stop talking about the holocaust during US History class. The Holocaust isn't US history.

What about the students who don't know what they want to be?
It wasn't until I was 12 years into my education that I knew where I wanted to go, after compulsory education and at the end of my further education. Prior to that I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a lawyer, a pharmacologist, a biologist, a teacher, an historian or what.
I certainly couldn't have made a specific choice about what I should be learning way back when I was just 12-15 years old.

And then there's always the fact that I could choose wrong.
I studied Chemistry for 2 years, while wondering if I could get a job in chemistry, when I learnt that actually I'm quite stuff at chemistry when it gets to higher levels.
If I hadn't have been taught history earlier on (because I thought I was always going to be great at chemistry and history would be a waste of time) then I wouldn't have known I still had an area I was good at and could study in.
Without trying things you won't know what you're good at, hence why schools let you try lots of things to a certain level of knowledge.

There should be more classes teaching everyday skills, like doing taxes, or voting, or budgeting a household.
But not at the expense of teaching a range of career-based subjects.

i don't see how i need to know trigonometry and geometry to live my life. it really sucks because in my state you have to have 4 math credits to graduate. that's algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, and trig. i'm a junior and i haven't passed geometry yet because math is really difficult for me.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:38:58 PM by hillkill »

one sec I'm gonna use meme arrows here

>school system is corrupt
>complains about being bad at math

mhm yeah

i don't see how i need to know trigonometry and geometry to live my life. it really sucks because in my state you have to have 4 math credits to graduate. that's algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, and trig. i'm a junior and i haven't passed geometry yet because math is really difficult for me.
Because many career paths (Especially those in the field of science, but not limited to that, there are plenty outside of it that do as well) require at the very least knowledge of math up to precalculus. That's not advanced math by the way, right angle trig is extremely basic. If you're having trouble with math I suggest a tutor, they do wonders.

Math is required for a lot of decent jobs, for example clerks, mechanics, computer programmers, and even historians sometimes. Knowing math increases your chances of not having to eat out of a McDonalds dumpster later in life.

Attendance shouldn't matter if you're passing, IMO. That and stop talking about the holocaust during US History class. The Holocaust isn't US history.

If you're at an a - c level it shouldn't imo

Also the US fought in WWII, the holocaust happened during WWII, thus the holocaust is part of US history

Let you be able to choose only things you're interested in?
i really really want this to happen

i really really want this to happen
So basically you're okay with being stuck for life on the career you choose in high school?