Blockland Glass 4.2

Author Topic: Blockland Glass 4.2  (Read 295015 times)

The board system is intended to be very broad. We have the tag system that's yet to be populated that will be much much more effective in looking through content. That being said, I haven't quite decided on what the boards will be. Nexus and I talked about it some time ago, I need to look back on what we decided.

I wanted to make it so the boards were nothing like what we had on RTB.  I wanted only 4 general boards, along with the bargain bin and fail bin.  Any subcategories would be defined by a tag system.  The categories were:

General ContentMinigames
spacing
Server ModsClient Mods
(no clip recorded)
spacing
Bargain BinFail Bin
(no clip recorded)

Note that the actual webm videos are in higher quality and not as slow motion: http://gfycat.com/DefiantDeadEmperorshrimp

The descriptions are:
1. General Content - basically anything related to building, environments, painting, decals, anything without a .cs file, etc
2. Minigames - weapons, vehicles, gamemodes, bots, etc
3. Client Mods - pretty self explanatory
4. Server Mods - scripts, tools, client/server systems, frameworks, etc

The idea is that a tag system is very dynamic and will scale well with however much content we have, but the board system from RTB left a lot of mods in weird places in terms of what board they belonged to.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:42:15 PM by Nexus »

Are the tags going to be predefined or custom?

Do you really need a "bargain bin" on the front page?

Are the tags going to be predefined or custom?

User defined strings, with some presets, was the plan.  However, I personally can't promise much because I haven't been actively developing the site for a while now and won't be able to until the semester ends.

Do you really need a "bargain bin" on the front page?

It would be down the page somewhere with somewhat less visibility, but it would still be accessible from the same page.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:05:03 PM by Nexus »

The current look of the board section is completely inconsistent from everything else.

Suggestions :

Remove Text shadows and glow animation, and go for a much more cleaner and flat card based approach with a vector icon of the section described.

Remove that little bit on the buttons for a cleaner more flat look instead of the pseudo 3D flat look.

Just my bit of suggestions, hope they help other than that, the site looks pretty good so far.

I don't really like the way that boards are being split up. I think it should just be the different add-on categories like RTB had, it worked. It could get really confusing as to what add-on goes in what board, even though add-ons are already split up into their own categories in the game so there is no confusion there.

We do need a bargain bin. Need to put Ipquarx's Asciifyer in there.

Also, you guys should make a chat software IRC called GlassChat. It would be great since you can then get in touch with 'friends'.

The board system is intended to be very broad. We have the tag system that's yet to be populated that will be much much more effective in looking through content. That being said, I haven't quite decided on what the boards will be. Nexus and I talked about it some time ago, I need to look back on what we decided.
Though when it comes to tags, is it possible to exclude certain tags while looking for things?
Obviously browsing a certain tag is going to be a thing, but you know, what if I just wanted general server mods but didn't want to see all the events in there?

Also, you guys should make a chat software IRC called GlassChat. It would be great since you can then get in touch with 'friends'.
Why do we need an irc when steam gives us a much more superior friend feature that even works outside of Blockland?

Shouldn't be an issue either because people who own normal Blockland can upgrade to Steam Blockland free of charge.

While Steam could have a superior friend feature, if it were actually effectively used.
We cannot see people's BL_IDs, current server, and status in said server. Join/invite also doesn't tell the person what server they're joining/being invited to.
The players window of Steam also does not work, so you cannot open the players window to add people over Steam.

But if we had a friend/chat system in BL, we could have all that.

I think that this should have some kind of chat client as it would make more people actually use it, seems like people used RTB for add-ons second and chat first.

Probably already been mentioned, but I'm too impatient to read through the pages.
After using this for a while, I decided it'd be best to stick with DAProgs' RTB zombie.
This is primarily because, while the download system is nice and all, and the features, this thing keeps turning on all of my add-ons. It's annoying, and while you can disable them from the list on the start menu, it doesn't save your add-on enable/disable list, so you have to do it every single time. I think I'll stay away from this until that is fixed. Also, assuming there is a Server Settings layout similar to RTB's, you should do what it did and replace the default one with that of Glass. The default Server Settings menu is absolutely worthless, and can be easily replaced. Also, thanks to Glass, my server rules didn't show up, so I'm probably going to have to redo all my preferences.

Probably already been mentioned, but I'm too impatient to read through the pages.
After using this for a while, I decided it'd be best to stick with DAProgs' RTB zombie.
This is primarily because, while the download system is nice and all, and the features, this thing keeps turning on all of my add-ons. It's annoying, and while you can disable them from the list on the start menu, it doesn't save your add-on enable/disable list, so you have to do it every single time. I think I'll stay away from this until that is fixed. Also, assuming there is a Server Settings layout similar to RTB's, you should do what it did and replace the default one with that of Glass. The default Server Settings menu is absolutely worthless, and can be easily replaced. Also, thanks to Glass, my server rules didn't show up, so I'm probably going to have to redo all my preferences.
Sounds like a folder inside of Blockland is set to read only, make sure its not read only.