Author Topic: Creative drive for BL is diminishing  (Read 623 times)

/blogland blah blah etc.

I like to make gamemodes for Blockland, I'm sure a couple of you know that. I have quite a few ideas that I'd like to go forth with, but I don't have the drive to start on any of them.

Part of that probably involves me not being able to host any of my creations. Sure I have a very nice 65mbps download speed, but I have an awful 4mbps upload speed. That can only handle ~48 players while remaining stable, and that's if I can use all of it (usually not).
I don't have a job (cue the usual few of you going "GET A JOB", "GO MOW LAWNS", etc.), nor is it a priority for me right now considering I need to focus more on college stuff, meaning I don't have enough funds to buy myself a dedicated server (not of the BL variant). My music revenue is only barely enough to for sure have a small $5/month VPS for other things, but that can't handle BL very well at all.

I never see anything of mine used either. Most know me for the loop player I spent an hour on years ago, hardly anyone knows me for gamemodes and the things I put effort into. Everything I make is publicly released (minus Falling Platforms, there's reasons for that) in hopes that someone enjoys it enough to host for others to enjoy. That never happens though, and it sucks.

Brickochet had very positive feedback from everyone who tried it out during development, but I stopped working on it because there was no interest.
Falling Platforms I stopped working on because it got beyond my limit of it being non-default, plus with Ravencroft's coming back (at the time), I didn't feel a need to work on mine anymore as mine would just be overshadowed.
The redux of Crumbling Arena stopped because, again, no one's interested. I'm not sure of Tezuni's is modified, but the player count is pretty much always 0. Lack of interest yet again.
The mining gamemode was always ridiculed for "not having a point", and it too never really had anybody on, so you know the drill by now.
And so on and so forth with everything else. I'm getting that vibe again with Haste, which is what I'm working on now.

I just don't feel like it's worth my time anymore making things for Blockland. I do still think it's an incredible game/platform to develop for, but I don't have a drive to do anything if everything's just thrown aside. It hurts a lot when I see posts akin to "Why does the server list suck so much, there's nothing good on Blockland anymore" because hey, there's a whole bunch of stuff you can try if you just look around.

I really needed to get this off my chest, sorry in advance for the rant. It's been bothering me for a long while.

What are you studying at college?

What are you studying at college?
Computer information systems/IT/etc., specializing in networking solutions

I hosted the first crumbling arena one time and I got 15 players
if you want to, I could host some stuffs for you if needed
not 24/7, but when I can, I'l boot up the dedi server and host one of your gamemodes if you'd like

I hosted the first crumbling arena one time and I got 15 players
if you want to, I could host some stuffs for you if needed
not 24/7, but when I can, I'l boot up the dedi server and host one of your gamemodes if you'd like
If you have the resources and it's not impacting anything, feel free. I just like hosting things myself in case something goes wrong, and I can pinpoint much, much easier what exactly's going on.

If you have the resources and it's not impacting anything, feel free. I just like hosting things myself in case something goes wrong, and I can pinpoint much, much easier what exactly's going on.
again, it's not 24/7 and I'l try and host it as long as I can have it running
It'l be just a thing to host in my spare time

i don't blame you

making something you put effort in and never seeing it being used is a motivation-killer
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:58:03 AM by The Resonte! »

i don't blame you

making something you put effort in and never seeing it being used is a motivation-killer