Should abandoned projects be released to the public?

Poll

Should abandoned projects be released to the public?

Yes, all content related.
35 (60.3%)
Yes, but only the files behind it.
1 (1.7%)
Yes, but only the save behind it.
3 (5.2%)
It depends.
17 (29.3%)
Not at all.
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Should abandoned projects be released to the public?  (Read 690 times)

Simple question to discuss.

Should the content of projects that end up being abandoned be released to the public to use how they wish?

I personally think that it really depends on the project. In almost all cases, I think the build should be released, but in some, the code should as well.
This is for projects that are definitely dead and will most likely never be revived.

Depends on if the creator cares enough.
It's their creation, they can do what they want with it.

But if somebody asks for it and they refuse under any grounds other than, "I still want to work on it.", then it's bullstuff.

Why should anything ever not be released?

If it's abandoned I don't see why it shouldn't be made public. It just adds to the pool of resources that modders can draw upon to make new content.

i have quite a few projects that i go back to every now and again

the only reason why i dont release the unfinished stuff is because it's so unfinished it would be better for another person to make it from the ground up

40% of my projects were abandoned, other percent was finished or put on hold.

If it's abandoned I don't see why it shouldn't be made public. It just adds to the pool of resources that modders can draw upon to make new content.

Doesn't matter if the project is abandoned or not privatization regardless should stop being a thing, it only hurts our community.
Some may argue this is to keep server "original" but we are forgetting one thing.

A server is only as good as its host, and its administration, a good example is the many tdm servers or city rp servers out there, the gamemode is public but whether its good or not depends on how well its hosted, build quality, administration and gameplay in all...

This is why I believe privatization is not an issue, it does not threaten originality in this form or manner.

I'll never release an abandoned project, mostly on the premise that one day I'll either remake it, or there'd be nothing to learn from it and nothing would fully work.

it's a grey area

if people were to ask me how I accomplished certain aspects I would give them up but I wouldn't want to give out all the code to an abandoned project, sometimes because its stuff or coded badly