Author Topic: Will an R9 285 handle 120fps more on modern games?  (Read 513 times)

So when I start to buy parts for the PC I'm putting together (birthday coming up) it will have an R9 285 (probably, can't decide which GPU I should get) and the monitor I get will most likely be a 144hz monitor (freesync too expensive rn) and I wanted to know if the 144hz will be a waste due to the GPU not being able to handle that many FPS. So the question is, can I run modern games at 120+fps on this card? (don't really care about the graphical settings)

I'd prolly go for the R9 280X

I'd prolly go for the R9 280X
Yeah I was thinking of picking one up, I found a used one on Craigslist for 150$.

Yeah I was thinking of picking one up, I found a used one on Craigslist for 150$.
I have to say though, I have a R9 270 right now and while it's older and somewhat outdated compared to the one you're looking at, I'm not seeing largely significant changes. I run pretty all my games decently. Larger games like GTA5 or Battlefield, I can run around 30-45FPS at medium settings. I'd imagine you'd be able to barely surpass those specs with the 280X or 285 and maintain the same FPS.

I probably might just get the 280x then. Thanks and locking.