Author Topic: Taking a game programming class...  (Read 1835 times)

One of the requirements that are really stressed is that there's supposed to be no gun shooting, weapon use, or (it appears) any real violence of any kind. I can understand that they don't want students to make games about shooting up schools or have them makes games that would offend their parents/the media, but the "safe" example the teacher said was "two characters can throw, like, muffins and pillows at each other" for combat.

I suppose this would be easier to swallow if this were a freshmen class, but we're seniors. Nobody here is below the age of 16 or 17. I'm pretty sure we can handle more than two stick figures throwing pillows at each other.

Clarification - None of us in the class are going to make violent games, if we did the responsibility would fall on our teacher, and we all really like our teacher. It just sucks that we're restricted in such a way.

make a game about giving lewinskys

stuff. for my game programming class im making a game where you violently murder slimes, skeletons, and dragons with cool sword

osht

^^^

you could put some effort into these "jokes" of yours, y'know. just mentioning love doesn't make 'em funny.

make a secret code door, and once a correct code is entered in, all the pillows get replaced by shotguns and you shoot up an entire school

you could put some effort into these "jokes" of yours, y'know. just mentioning love doesn't make 'em funny.
hueheu 69 heuheuhe

anyway does your game has to be about action (without violence good luck) or can't it be like a puzzle game or exploration game or a puzzle exploration game

anyway does your game has to be about action (without violence good luck) or can't it be like a puzzle game or exploration game or a puzzle exploration game
nah, it doesn't have to be an action game.

like i said, i can see how the school board doesn't want us to make postal 2, but bringing it to the extreme of "no weapons at all" (whatever that means) is really limiting, and putting that responsibility on the teacher (she could lose her job) is just a final slap in the face.

but bringing it to the extreme of "no weapons at all" (whatever that means) is really limiting
not really? I mean, if you can't come up with anything non-violent, game design probably isn't for you

Aren't you giving some for 3$?

not really? I mean, if you can't come up with anything non-violent, game design probably isn't for you
The point is it's artificially limiting students creativity. If they have a good idea that involves guns, that shouldn't be restricted.

The point is it's artificially limiting students creativity. If they have a good idea that involves guns, that shouldn't be restricted.
you're at school, doing it for school, probably for other students to play and certainly for your teacher to judge
not only is it absurdly inappropriate to make a violent school project, but it is completely unfair to think that you should have the right to force someone else to play a violent game just because it "limits your creativity" otherwise
you can make whatever games you want on your own time. there's literally nothing stopping you. you can be as "creative" as you want at home. but this is for school

you're at school, doing it for school, probably for other students to play and certainly for your teacher to judge
not only is it absurdly inappropriate to make a violent school project, but it is completely unfair to think that you should have the right to force someone else to play a violent game just because it "limits your creativity" otherwise
you can make whatever games you want on your own time. there's literally nothing stopping you. you can be as "creative" as you want at home. but this is for school
How is it inappropriate to make a game with guns in it? Nothing about in-game violence translates into the real world and if you can't handle the fact that gun games exist and people like them then you shouldn't be a teacher in the first place.