Author Topic: starting a blog, need cheap hosting  (Read 1696 times)

I definitely don't understand the need for an entire VPS for just a blog.

Just rent a domain and use IIS7 to host a text-only html document that you write stuff in.

Hostinger is free
Im not sire cloudflare is a hosting thing too but its well known for its ddos protection

IIS7
why
IIS requires a windows server, windows servers cost more than Linux because the OS isn't free
The only reason to use IIS is if you're running an ASP.NET web app, not a static HTML document

I definitely don't understand the need for an entire VPS for just a blog.

Because it's cheaper than many web hosting plans, more reliable, and gives you complete control.

why
IIS requires a windows server, windows servers cost more than Linux because the OS isn't free
The only reason to use IIS is if you're running an ASP.NET web app, not a static HTML document
I am running an IIS which is running a static PHP document without paying a cent.

I am running an IIS which is running a static PHP document without paying a cent.

You should probably use nginx for that.

static PHP
lol why

I am running an IIS which is running a static PHP document without paying a cent.
Yeah iis express edition is free, but he can't host it himself so he needs to rent hosting from somewhere, which isn't free
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:35:43 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

Linux scares me and Win32 is useless for my 64 system. Waste of resources. :C



Yeah iis express edition is free, but he can't host it himself so he needs to rent hosting from somewhere, which isn't free
Why? Leave your PC running 24/7.

Why? Leave your PC running 24/7.

Some people don't have the internet for that, like me. I can run a Raspberry Pi webserver but with just 50kb/s upload and minimum ping to my ISP of 60 it makes for a very slow website.

Linux scares me

Linux is daunting at first, but if you get the hang of it, you'd have complete control over the whole OS

the only issue is compatibility but wine helps curb that issue somewhat

Why? Leave your PC running 24/7.
power bill is bad
stuffload of wear and tear on the PC

Linux is daunting at first, but if you get the hang of it, you'd have complete control over the whole OS

the only issue is compatibility but wine helps curb that issue somewhat

It isn't fair to say that Linux not properly running Windows applications is a compatibility issue. It's a bonus.

power bill is bad
I used about 800kw last month and was charged $130 pesos which is about $9 USD.

stuffload of wear and tear on the PC

Use a Pi like mentioned before or disposable HDDs/have windows shutdown drives after 5 minutes without read/write.

I used about 800kw last month and was charged $130 pesos which is about $9 USD.
You can rent web hosting space for much less than $9/month