Author Topic: Soft shadows that won't lag you to death (or well, not nearly as much)  (Read 15989 times)

These are great, they look good and run better than the default shader does (on my system at least)

Works better than default shaders on my GT 720.

My shaders still look the same even after setting it to read only?

It's very good on my GTX 760, too bad it heats up my computer and makes my computer loud as forget.

Okay, the old soft shadows were really nice but destroyed my fps. This is basically just as good, and I think I lost like two frames.
However, I noticed when testing this out I was getting weird striations in the floor. Both bricks and the actual ground were affected. (click images for higher res, jpg though)

This effect is extremely minor with default shaders, almost unnoticeable, but these new soft shadows make it really nasty looking. It doesn't happen with the old soft shadows at all, though they also introduce weird artifacts of their own. Maybe I'm just being stupid and missing something here, but this doesn't seem normal. I have all my graphics settings on max, I'm running Win7 Home Premium 64 bit, Radeon R9 270X gpu, AMD FX 6350 cpu. wat do.
also woo my first toast on the forum, even though i've had the game like 5 years

Had the same problem, I hand-tweaked the variables and it seems like I managed to get rid of any noticeable artifacts.
Shader file

Only problem is shadows aren't drawn from the very base of objects, but it's better than having lines everywhere.

I use that one add-on that allows me to switch between normal, soft, ultra, and performance shaders. How would I incorperate this into that add-on?s

I use that one add-on that allows me to switch between normal, soft, ultra, and performance shaders. How would I incorperate this into that add-on?s
Yeah how would you do this?

Yeah how would you do this?
You'd have to edit the addon yourself to add the extra shader; you could also just temporarily replace defailt shaders with these and set the switcher to "default".

You'd have to edit the addon yourself to add the extra shader; you could also just temporarily replace defailt shaders with these and set the switcher to "default".
Yeah i got it fixed
in the shaders folder if you have the addon that lets you switch in-between shaders, rename the file to one of the "custom#_frag" files. It should work

This still isn't working for me, I tried the "read only" stuff