A new Garry's Mod?!

Author Topic: A new Garry's Mod?!  (Read 2474 times)

If you were to check Steam right now, Garry’s Mod still costs ten dollars. Even after all these years, all the publicity, all the money, the players, the demand. Given how well-established it is now, would Newman ever consider upping the modest price tag?

“No,” he says. “I mean, we’re kind of working on a sequel, so it’d be stupid to the raise the price. It’s early days. We’re looking at having more VR stuff in it - that’s the big point of it. And it won’t be called Garry’s Mod 2.”

VR in Garry’s Mod. I’ll let that sink in for a second.

Next year marks Garry’s Mod’s ten year anniversary on Steam. Whilst Newman suggests he might organise something in celebration, he notes that “it won’t be anything crazy”. How the community reacts, on the other hand, could be another matter entirely. For this is the true beauty of Garry’s Mod: 11 years on and the community is still surprising the man that created it. Dealing with the ever-evolving expectations of such a long-standing community, though, isn’t without its challenges.
Full story: http://www.pcgamesn.com/garrys-mod/the-making-of-garrys-mod

So what do you guys think? Think it'll be on Source 2? Or might it use it's own version of Source that could even be compatible with CS:GO, Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 1 and 2?

If it uses Source 2, i don't see how the maps of non-Source 2 games would work with it, then again, i'm not really sure just how backwards compatible Source 2 is, but maybe you could only use the models, materials and sound files or something? I dunno, still though, a new Garry's Mod sounds pretty exciting, i can't wait to see screenshots and videos of how it looks and how it works

wow maybe it can actually handle ACF

It's reasonably likely it'd be on Source 2, since that'd be pretty much the only reason to follow up a game on a platform and engine known for permitting endless updates. But nobody knows a thing about Source 2 right now other than "it's pretty," so it's hard to really know for sure how things'll work.

There better be a way to use at least two normal maps on a single texture, i believe it's a thing that works with map brushes because they use the 'LightmappedGeneric' shader that allows multiples of certain things, but VertexLitGeneric currently only supports one normal map per texture

Which sucks because games for years now have had the usual normal map you see at any distance, but then there would be the detail normal map for when you view models up close

Hopefully Gmod wont freeze/stop responding for all eternity(one minute I'm shooting NPCs, the next minute Gmod stops responding). And there better be a "purge workshop" button that deletes all GMA files belonging to unsubscribed mods, because I used to have a few hundred or so gigabytes of .gma files from workshop content subscribed to over the years.

it'll now be called garry's game

I actually doubt that it will be a Source 2 version of Garry's Mod, because that would mean Facepunch is like a branch of Valve and is granted access to the S2 code and assets from their games.