Dad may be installing a network proxy, help. (Rant on parental restrictions)

Author Topic: Dad may be installing a network proxy, help. (Rant on parental restrictions)  (Read 4188 times)

I found my dad looking up network proxies for some reason tonight. He's apparently going to restrict internet usage.

To quickly enlighten you guys on my current situation with computer usage, read below. Or skip this and read the TL;DR

I don't have my own password for either of my computers, and I haven't since 2009. I've been working around this a bit, like turning my monitor off on my old PC. Thankfully on my new PC, the setting "require log in after sleep" is disabled, so I've been using that to get on during the day. For some reason my parents haven't gotten suspicious yet lol.

On my mom's laptop which I use for school, I managed to get onto the administrator account and disable the setting "require log in after sleep," so I use this during the night and sometimes during the day. No one has found out about this yet.

Now that you know that I don't have my own password, I can explain the network proxy issue now. As of the past week, I've been using my mom's laptop during the night to watch YouTube, read the few forums I post on, and play some Minecraft. No one has found out, caught me, or even found the computer on. I've been pretty sneaky with it.

Now for some reason out of the blue my dad's looking up proxies to monitor and restrict our network usage. I'm fairly certain they haven't busted me using any computers without their permission. I don't know much about proxies, but I really want to be able to continue using the internet at night since I'm never able to during the day anymore.

For those wondering; the proxy I saw him looking at (and I think he installed it on my old PC), was Squid. I don't know much about it.

All I need to know is if there's any way of bypassing it, and maybe if it's possible to prevent my parents from using it to monitor my network usage? I'd like some privacy god damnit.

This will screw me over because they'll find out my BLF account, twitter, and my forum. I'm banned from using Twitter and BLF (I think blf, not sure), so I don't use them with my parents around (and in inPrivate browsing too). My forum they'll probably get mad about some of the content on there. Don't want them finding that.

TL;DR
Dad may be installing a proxy of some sort to monitor and restrict my network usage. It'll pretty much screw me over since I'm not allowed to post on the BLF anymore, and am not allowed to use the internet without their consent.

If you came to the TL;DR because you want a brief description of my computer usage restriction: I don't know my own passwords on my computer and haven't since 2009. I have to ask my parents to log me in. I've been bypassing this a bit, putting the computer to sleep and stuff.

bad parenting
yep or really over protective, which is kinda the same thing.

Do you have a data cap or something?

i mean youre 14, it's not like youre 8
but i can't speak for all households.

what did you do to make them extra restrictive on internet usage?

Wow... something there. There is no way they will NOT ban your BLF account...

Quick! Make a windows bootable USB drive and, while they're not home, boot to it. Set the built-in administrator account active and set its password to whatever you want it to be. boom!

that really sucks. i have full access to my house's internet stuff because i bought the router and modem.

still though squid doesn't look like a tracker; tho, worse comes to worse you could like talk to your parents
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:14:18 PM by log »

Do you have a data cap or something?
No data cap either. Just purely out of over protection.

ask them why they're doing it
what did you do to make them extra restrictive on internet usage?
Back in 2009 I was really into YouTube and was on it excessively. My mom blew up at me one day and changed my password, then all the passwords slowly got changed. And that was the end of my YouTube channel :p

Now a days it's to restrict me a bit (although they have gotten looser on my time limits), while also protecting me from seeing research, which I've never seen and don't intend on it. Quite personally I've been a good boy on the interwebs this year, which was my new years resolution.

Quick! Make a windows bootable USB drive and, while they're not home, boot to it. Set the built-in administrator account active and set its password to whatever you want it to be. boom!
Nice posting time, 9:11:11 pm my time :)
We have a few windows install discs, I'll probably end up burning one of them and using it when they're not home or during the night. Problem is network monitoring.

theyre trying to protect us
#SaveBLF2k15

they dont want you to find the deep webs

why cant you tell them to not spy on you