[GAMEMODE] Boss Battles DX

Author Topic: [GAMEMODE] Boss Battles DX  (Read 7210 times)

im still super mad that boss battles has basically existed unchanged for like 4 years now so here is what a theoretical super boss battles would look like

Boss Battles DX is an all-against-one deathmatch in which one player (the Boss) fights against a fragile but numerous horde of Soldiers in a frankly lopsided endurance test. as the Boss, the player must efficiently and quickly pick off the largest threats with their Basic Weapon(s) to earn Energy. Energy is used to fire their Special Attacks, which are powerful multi-target attacks that require specific timing or preparation but can be used to kill many enemies at a single time, leaving a large dent in the enemy team. on the opposite side, Soldiers are relatively fragile but universally agile enough to evade attacks from the boss

Soldiers are straightforward; they're essentially normal players. they spawn on a Ticket system, which means that as long as the Soldier team has enough Tickets to spawn more players Soldiers will continue to spawn normally. they move at a slightly higher then maximum speed and spawn with a random primary weapon and a reliably useful but noticeably less powerful secondary weapon. when a Soldier dies- or, more precisely, when their corpse disappears- they drop their primary weapon. certain primary weapons are noticeably more powerful, meaning the Soldier wielding them becomes a bigger threat to the boss. proper teamwork is necessary to keep that Soldier's weapon in the game as long as it can in order to continue dealing as much damage as possible to the Boss

every Boss is defined by their Special Attacks, but typically have similar enough Basic Weapons. the Basic Weapon is essentially a mundane, relatively frillless weapon that kills enemies well enough but doesn't deal enough damage quickly enough to be a practical weapon against the greater Soldier force. however, getting a kill with the Basic Weapon builds up Energy. with enough Energy a boss can fire a Special Attack by right clicking; the type of Special Attack that fires changes depending on the Boss. most special attack lineups follow a quadratic progression, starting with a useful if less spectacular area of effect attack and ending with a chaotic field-clearing undodgeable supermove.

now, that said, the Boss also LOSES energy for every 1% damage it takes. in order to continue firing special attacks, the Boss has to make sure they're killing faster then they can take damage and are appropriately dealing with emergent threats such as Soldiers with dangerous weapons or in flanking positions

Bosses consistently have the same amount of health regardless of playercount, because playercount does not necessarily influence damage potential; a team of 5 players will still have a 50 ticket stock, allowing them to deal comparable damage in those 50 tickets to a team of 10 players on their own 50 ticket stock. the biggest difference is the speed damage is dealt and the length of every game

Boss Design is simple; due to the Energy and Special Attack system balancing can be boiled down to a set of numbers that can be moved higher or lower depending on effectiveness and tactical value. a Boss is essentially just an interplay between their Basic Weapon, their basic stats, and their Special Attacks

when a Boss tries to fire their special attack, they always fire the last Special Attack they had earned the EN to unlock. firing the appropriate special subtracts that special's EN requirement from the Boss' energy reserve. in addition, a boss taking enough damage to lose energy is denoted by the boss emitting a plume of smoke and sparking.

a typical Boss, on paper, might look like this

Dixie

a Boss whose Basic Weapon is easy to use and effective and whose special attacks are straightforward but inflexible. a good boss for learning the game's systems.

9,000 HP (as in, exactly 90 players worth of health)
  125% player movement speed
  2x player scale
  80 Soldier Tickets

[Basic Weapon] "Burst Rifle"
    • a rifle that fires in a long, uninterrupted 10-shot burst over a span of ~2 seconds. only 7 shots from the burst are necessary to score a kill. the final shot in the burst explodes, dealing knockback and extra damage to anyone nearby. the projectiles are pinpoint accurate but travel slightly slower then average, necessitating fine aim

[EN 2] "Mortar Shell"
    • Dixie fires a large explosive that flies high into the air, out of view of the imperceptive player, making a high-pitched squealing sound. the mortar does radius damage easily over a ~32 stud radius and kills for certain within ~16 studs, making it effective for killing large swathes of players

[EN 4] "Burst Barrage"
    • the Burst Rifle makes a loud, metal-on-metal racking noise before it fires a flurry of it's 10th-shot explosives. the attack is hard to avoid but is actually less likely to kill an individual Soldier due to the added knockback on every bullet, and is more likely to scatter enemies and deal moderate damage across the total Soldier force

[EN 9] "Mortar Storm"
    • Dixie fires a swarm of 5 mortar shells that spread over a ~48 stud area. the combined damage radius of the mortar shells guarantee a couple kills but an observant Soldier- as in, one not paying attention to Dixie, who can just shoot him with the Burst Rifle- can evade the mortars by simply looking up and getting out of the way due to their slow overall movement

the design intention is that Dixie's playstyle revolves around it's Burst Rifle, which is obviously the boss' primary weapon. due to Dixie's health reserve and relatively inefficient weapon fights are long and have lots of opportunities for the battle to shift in one side's or the other's favor. Dixie deals the most damage through it's Mortar and Burst Barrage, with Mortar Storm being more of a bonus certain-kill attack. Dixie actually has a hidden technique, due to the way energy works: at EN 6, Dixie can fire it's Burst Barrage to deal widespread direct damage and only lose 4EN out of 6, allowing the player to immediately pursue with Mortar Shell to deal even more damage. due to Dixie's generally-less-dangerous special attacks, soldiers are more likely to survive hits without dying, allowing the player to immediately follow-up with Dixie's basic weapon to immediately earn back some energy. this loop allows an experienced Dixie to constantly be laying down mortar shells, giving Soldiers something to worry about from two angles of attack

the big challenge with Boss Battles DX is making sure that the game never feels like you're up against an undefeatable opponent from either side of play; Pecon's boss battles suffers because of how easy it is for an experienced player to tip the scale so far in their favor that the game becomes a stomp and the fight becomes unfun

it also suffers from minibosses, which are a cool idea conceptually (a player who is noticeably a larger threat then the other players) but minibosses are too consistent and are hidden behind a point wall and they're something you have to do deliberately as a gamble as opposed to a fun surprise that gives a player the chance to turn the tables on a boss

it ALSO suffers from stuns. which are straight-up verboten in the case of BBDX, due to the inclusion of the Player Ticket system adding a 'soft stun' (as in, a respawn time) on death. any attack that would be a stun is much better presented as a raw kill, because with a raw kill there is no futile hope that you'll get unstunned before you get removed from play and thus there's no frustration that comes with the game stealing away a chance at a comeback without your ability to fight back

if someone were to host a prototype with this i'd honestly just suggest using the quake-type pack as placeholder weapons for the soldiers; keep the machine gun as the 'consistent and reliable secondary weapon' and have primary soldier spawns vary between the shotgun, the railgun, the warhead launcher, the missile launcher, the volley missile and the sniper rifle.

if this takes off i'm willing to do weapon design and sound design and everything really but progress might run slow because other games to write

if you've got feedback you should say something

this idea sounds very cool

my friend made a very good point

an administration
Surely it would be a better idea to built it into the system rather than rely on a person to enforce it?

i am willing to make this and host it

Surely it would be a better idea to built it into the system rather than rely on a person to enforce it?

youre right technically and if an effective anti-starfish system comes up that's totally hands free that's one thing but it's unlikely that a program is going to be able to intuitively and consistently pick out troublemakers from people who can actually just not hit the boss

like the most straightforward way to go about this would be to not take away tickets if you get killed by the boss without dealing enough damage in a single life but one that's easy to cheese (for instance, if you wanted to die because you didn't like your randomly selected weapon) and two that means that people who are straight up incapable of hitting the boss are basically nonentities
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:00:10 PM by Bushido »

youre right technically and if an effective anti-starfish system comes up that's totally hands free that's one thing but it's unlikely that a program is going to be able to intuitively and consistently pick out troublemakers from people who can actually just not hit the boss

like the most straightforward way to go about this would be to not take away tickets if you get killed by the boss without dealing enough damage in a single life but one that's easy to cheese (for instance, if you wanted to die because you didn't like your randomly selected weapon) and two that means that people who are straight up incapable of hitting the boss are basically nonentities
even if it's easy to circumvent i think it's still better than nothing. as for being nonentities, I don't think that's inherently a bad thing. if the aim of the game is to kill the boss, and they don't contribute anything towards that, I dont think they should be able to contribute towards ending the game.

man especially in this case it's way worse then nothing

part of the game's deliberate imbalancing is that some soldiers randomly spawn with weapons that are actually quantifiably better against the single boss target, which means that if soldiers can repeatedly reshuffle themselves with no downside until they get the gun they want they are able to constantly roll perfect situations and the game wobbles off the rails

so make it so no damage = no ticket & same weapons on respawn, simple

you want to cut down reshuffling, not sanction the whole team when a player does it
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:25:59 PM by Darryl McKoy »

actually a potential solution is to make it so that players dont spawn with powerful weapons but instead get them from random drops

ok the backbone of the game is finished
i now need content such as the map and more items and stuff

a friend is attempting the weapon model for the boss btw
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:41:42 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

I've sent a message to Bushido about something I was going to do with a Boss Battles mod that would make it interesting but not plan to release it publicly for reasons. I will plan to release it to a few people, though. I'll mind as well post it here; I have also edited this quote, but this was originally a PM message. I'm planning to test this on my server but I should really continue my CityRPG like I was always planning instead of making other projects, but I want to also make something interesting because coding a CityRPG for 6+ months can get boring after a while (Still continuing it, just slow progress). I'm not sure when exactly I'll start on this.

I can create a boss battles mod for you that includes a client to create Bosses/Normals/Minibosses/Other classes that you can set their max health+health per player (Ignores themselves), maximum slots with weapons to add them to, speed (or can use player datablocks), name, description and call special functions in a script in case you want to add special powers to a boss/normal/miniboss/other.

Example: A ghost that has an emitter when the class was selected.
function Player::onClass_ClassName(%player)
{
      %player.mountImage(GhostImage);
}

I may be misunderstanding on what you want here, I'm sorry for that.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:55:58 AM by Kyuande »

give a respawn penalty system that has factors
like how often you have died in one round
or how fast you died after spawning

and take these into consideration to give the player additional seconds on their respawn time

does anyone have a good map that i could possibly use for this

does anyone have a good map that i could possibly use for this
I'd be willing to join and come help build one unless you find one