Poll

Continue working on CityRPG?

Yes
30 (88.2%)
No
4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Visolator's City (City RPG) - Reviving? Ideas? [Host sometime?]  (Read 27769 times)

Question, do the service bricks work like all the other CityRPG mods?

what other benefits do you give yourself?
Host is called President instead of "host", so you can still apply for another job. President job doesn't actually exist, I'll edit the post about that soon.

Service blocks work better than the other city rpg's, actually. You can easily make your own info brick in the script since I made it 10x easier. I'll discuss things coding wise on the features once I edit more of the features.

I just removed Mayor because it would be better if the host edits how the server works instead. I may re-add it later, not sure yet.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:13:48 PM by Kyuande »

Host is called President instead of "host", so you can still apply for another job. President job doesn't actually exist, I'll edit the post about that soon.
That's good then. The last thing we need is another iteration of the mod that encourages 10 year old hosters to go on a powertrip

Service blocks work better than the other city rpg's, actually. You can easily make your own info brick in the script since I made it 10x easier. I'll discuss things coding wise on the features once I edit more of the features.
The reason I'm asking is that all the mods have /yes and /no service commands that don't cancel when you click on another service. E.g.
  • You click brick 1 (which offers a service)
  • You then click brick 2, and it says something like 'You have pending service requests'.
It should just cancel brick 1's service request when you click brick 2

The reason I'm asking is that all the mods have /yes and /no service commands that don't cancel when you click on another service. E.g.
  • You click brick 1 (which offers a service)
  • You then click brick 2, and it says something like 'You have pending service requests'.
It should just cancel brick 1's service request when you click brick 2
Oh yeah, this uses a messagebox yes/no instead. If you click another brick it will just remove the last question and give you a new one.

This goes for all yes/no questions or ok/cancel instead of doing /yes and /no.

Here's an example of buying a beverage.

Starting on seperate GUIs for things (use the same gui but just different windows), no, you do not need the client to be on this server, as you will still be fine without it.
Bank GUI (Loans too)
Job GUI
President (host) GUI (To add jobs and modify how the server works)
and more...

These GUIs can only be opened when you go to a station for that type, if you try to open it or do anything, nothing will work.

How does this look for a bank GUI? Please be honest about it as I do like to have some criticism for this.

I see, what's wrong with it? Sorry if I'm not getting the picture

It's just not intuitive

What are the + and - Buttons for?

What is the field to the right of the '?' for?

Okay, I see. How's this?

Name to donate only works if you have more than $0 on the donate section.
You can hold down the $+ and the $- and it will also add/subtract the money in the box that way, the longer you hold it the more money it will add, probably for lazy people. When you are done you can click "done" and it will add that money to whatever box you checked
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:42:02 PM by Kyuande »

There's some good stuff in here.
I like the buildings, the PD makes me think of a library.

I would just drop the $+ and $- buttons completely, it just confuses the look to no benefit.

I'm no GUI design professional, but I have had to design some for business apps I've built previously. Generally you want the location of the elements to reflect the 'flow' of actions the end user needs to take.

This is the flow of your GUI.  To me, it doesn't make sense to have the 'Done' button on the left, because people have to go to the textbox on the right of that to enter the amount. Then they have to go back to the left to press the 'make changes' button

This is my suggestion:

This could probably be improved, but you'll notice it has a pretty good flow. I changed "Amount to add" because it doesn't make sense in the context of anything but depositing. I don't know how blockland GUIs work, but if you can, I would make the "Donate to: " + player selection only appear when the donate checkbox is ticked (to the left of the 'Make changes' button to keep flow obviously). This is again because it doesn't make sense in any other context but Donating. I would drop the "refresh list" button from this (the list will refresh when they reopen the list, right?).  You might even consider changing the 'done' button to something like 'apply'. 'Done' to me suggests that the dialogue will close when in this case it wont.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:27:37 AM by Darryl McKoy »

how about on mckoy's design you remove the done button, move the "make changes" button up to where the done button used to be, and then make the whole entire gui smaller by removing the blank space remaining at the bottom. have the donate button open up a seperate gui, you don't need to have it taking up space on the main banking gui when it probably won't be used all the time
i think that would end up looking really nice
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:09:14 AM by Gytyyhgfffff »

Okay, which one is better?

To me I think #2 looks better, just have to move the picture a little bit.

they both have a huge amount of wasted, blank GUI space

i stick with my suggestion

this is what i suggested and its the best imo

this is what i suggested and its the best imo
Okay, here's another one.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:29:18 PM by Kyuande »