Author Topic: is happy home designer any good?  (Read 1035 times)

animal crossing games have a sort of charm, but whenever i play animal crossing games i feel obligated to pick it up at least once a day and if i miss a day i just end up not playing it for months, and then i reset, and it takes even less time to abandon it, and i just dont have much motivation to return to them. happy home designer is certainly a breakaway from the traditional animal crossing formula, and i want to know if it's something i can pick up and play whenever i want and just have an enjoyable experience. the reviews seem to imply that it sacrifices the interactivity of living in the village in exchange for focusing exclusively on home design. is this true? what are your guys' opinions on this game?

yes. I got it on release date because my friend bought the new regular sized 3ds, and didn't care for the game. he ended up giving it to me. if you liked creating your house in new leaf/other animal crossing games, you will like this. it expands on designing your house by adding carpets, things on ceilings such as chandeliers, more furniture and even adding things outside to make a front yard (and you can fit between tables and chairs now). you also don't just build houses, so there is town development when you are told to build a store or a cafe. so far I don't notice any need to check in every day.

yes. I got it on release date because my friend bought the new regular sized 3ds, and didn't care for the game. he ended up giving it to me. if you liked creating your house in new leaf/other animal crossing games, you will like this. it expands on designing your house by adding carpets, things on ceilings such as chandeliers, more furniture and even adding things outside to make a front yard (and you can fit between tables and chairs now). you also don't just build houses, so there is town development when you are told to build a store or a cafe. so far I don't notice any need to check in every day.
the ign reviews heavily implied that the villagers were just like "Build Me This forget House" and thats the personal level interaction you had with them. is what you're saying that it's an animal crossing game where you just personally design the whole town?

well you are right about the villagers. they just say "BUILD ME THIS HOUSE, AND INCLUDE X ,Y, Z,", so there is some limitations. also its more of a spinoff because its entirely focused on building the buildings of your town, and not about catching bugs, catching fish, and paying debt. the designing in HHD is better than new leaf because you can pick things up and move it wherever, instead of having to drag it around like in the previous games. you can post your creations online via some computer you get early in-game. the point of this is so other people can rate your buildings, so you have some motive to not make everything a total eyesore.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:56:22 PM by AcornCake »

well you are right about the villagers. they just say "BUILD ME THIS HOUSE, AND INCLUDE X ,Y, Z,", so there is some limitations. also its more of a spinoff because its entirely focused on building the buildings of your town, and not about catching bugs, catching fish, and paying debt. the designing in HHD is better than new leaf because you can pick things up and move it wherever, instead of having to drag it around like in the previous games. you can post your creations online via some computer you get early in-game. the point of this is so other people can rate your buildings, so you have some motive to not make everything a total eyesore.
yeah i kinda assumed all the other stuff but it is actually a little disappointing that you dont interact with the villagers that much. i think maybe ill just get a new 3ds for christmas bundled with that game.

ill leave this thread open for more discussion though

Sure, it's the cutest Animal Crossing to come out, but it is also the most lackluster for me. I don't know if I'm like the go-to-guy for Animal Crossing but I think me making a megathread on it a year or so ago with regular updates to the OP even knowing people probably don't really check it out shows that I love the series, but maybe that love for it made me not like this addition as much. I was really excited to play this game initially after seeing all that cool hoo-haa that you could do shown in the trailers as I for one love games with in-depth customization, and I had a pretty in-depth discussion with Fastlex, whom was on the other hand, not as excited. A few days before I got it, I read in GameInformer that they gave it a 5/10, and I was like "What that's crazy!" but I've slowly begun to understand why such a low rating. Albeit this is a spin-off, the biggest mechanic of Animal Crossing that this game fails to capture for me is virtual reward.

Getting new furniture doesn't feel that good and a lot of the house building procedures feels tedious. You have to save every time you finish a build, and that gets annoying when all you want to do is, for example, move a piece of furniture somewhere else. I personally don't care if its somewhat realistic or not to write a report after moving a carpet one space to the right, I just want to do it then and there when I'm in the building or whatever, but maybe that's just me. However it makes sense when you have to move a character's house from one location from the other, but even that gets annoying because that is the only way to upgrade someone's house. I would have preferred if you could just select a higher level floor plan once you get that option once for every future house.

Not to mention the extreme lack of difficulty really makes each villager's house feel less and less unique to build. I wish you had to appeal to a villager's interests more, like for example: "Hey, Axel is a jock, maybe along with some dentistry furniture I should sneak in some athletic stuff for him!" I would have loved some sort of a percentage that you would have to reach until a villager would claim they either loathed it, liked it, or loved it, because then you would maybe feel bad if you just skimped on a villager's house because, I don't know, they're ugly and you just want their furniture set? Hell, even the characters themselves feel less different because most of their dialog loops way more often than in the older games. I think a shining example of the lack of individuality that each character has is in the furniture, because in the older games your character would have a plethora of lines to say about opening dressers and stuff. This character has two, "Oops I opened it..." and "I'm going to pretend I didn't see that." I understand that this game is definitely focusing on the house aspect of Animal Crossing rather than the villager aspect, but all in all the motivation to build a cool house is weakened by the fact that the villager living in the cool house isn't as cool comparatively, but I may be just be biased in comparing it to its prior games.

Maybe I would have more fun with it if I had the amiibo cards or paced out house building so its once per day because I had already gotten all the emotions and finished the city, but I don't know. I don't think I'm going to return it any time soon but given the option I might, I mean I haven't made houses for the characters I know I like and are in the game yet and I haven't actually tried to completely upgrade someone's house so there is a small replay value factor for me. But give it a shot for yourself and judge if its for you, because that's really what matters! However, I think with the new villager interactions, some interesting new furniture (namely the ceiling, rug, and wall stuff), how furniture can be placed now is somewhat of a step forward and hopefully will be implemented in a future main series thing, and it begs the question: Where will the next main series Animal Crossing game go from here?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 09:35:50 PM by Flamecannon »

probably good but also probably not as good as new leaf

do you like building houses
yes: yes
no: no

I am also interested in the home building crossing of animals.
Can you make houses in shapes of male genitalia to attract gays so I can leg drop them?