Author Topic: common app computer science major question  (Read 658 times)

what is the difference between:
Computer Systems
Software Engineering
Human-Centered Computing

1 sounds smart 2 sound like someone with a mom on the computer talking about how good you are with computers and "nerd stuff"

Computer Systems is more physical (parts and how computers work, and probably drivers). Soft. Engineering is the software of a computer and how it behaves.

"Human Centered computing (HCC) studies the design, development, and deployment of mixed-initiative human-computer systems.It is emerged from the convergence of multiple disciplines that are concerned both with understanding human beings and with the design of computational artifacts."

which one would be least math intensive, in terms of classes/homework/tests, etc? i understand computer science REQUIRES math, but i struggle with it

Computer systems sounds like you'd learn the most technical stuff; servers, security, debugging. I'm not entirely sure of this, though, so don't decide based on my word.

Software engineering has to do with the processes and documentation involved in producing software in a company. (Requirements, design and implementation, testing, maintenance)

It sounds like human centered computing has to do with how people interact with technology, and might be related to cognitive psychology and graphic design, making things understandable for users.

I'm not 100% sure on any of these. I'm guessing that, as with many things, there will be overlap on what classes you take.
If you're going to work with computers, you'll probably have to learn some mathematical stuff.
Don't let it intimidate you; it isn't something that comes naturally to most people. Struggling without giving up leads to understanding.

If you really want to try to avoid it, it sounds like Human-Centered Computing would be the last mathy, as it's more concerned with human interaction than technical details.

Try clicking the "Click here for more information about UIC programs" link?

which one would be least math intensive, in terms of classes/homework/tests, etc? i understand computer science REQUIRES math, but i struggle with it

It's really not math intensive at all unless you're working for a company in a math intensive field.
Just about all the math code I write at work is basic four functions (add/subtract/multiply/divide)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:51:09 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

nah nah i'm pretty sure Human-Centered Computing means making cyborgs

Try clicking the "Click here for more information about UIC programs" link?
holy stuff how did i miss this lmfao

thanks for the info guys

nah nah i'm pretty sure Human-Centered Computing means making cyborgs
sign me the forget up