6 (25%)
no
7 (29.2%)
maybe
6 (25%)
yes
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: off loving sucks  (Read 167641 times)

isnt that you just hating rpgs
also no i do not hate rpgs

the way off implements the turn based combat thing is boring as stuff and should be a lesson on how to make your game a snore fest. the solution to every combat encounter is to spam your highest powered attack because the limiter on that is some sort of point system except you have so many of them and the save stations that recharge them are so frequent that it really doesn't matter how much you spam them; you will not run out. the reason you can spam every enemy to death so easily is because of the remarkable blandness in encounter variety. virtually all enemies are just bland punching bags who have one normal attack and one status inflicting thing. the status things are irrelevant and every standard encounter ends in 2-3 turns max because you just spam your strong attacks and its over. this includes the bosses who seem to be normal enemies but scaled up in hit points. add this with the standard random encounter system and the boredom from fights becomes ridiculous because of how many times you have to smash through these near mechanically identical starfishs just to get to the end of a room and do it again. its boring as stuff. the worst part is you can not attack immediately to cut down the encounter times. instead you must wait for your attack bar thing to fill before doing an attack and that only feels like it artificially lengthens how long battles are because it takes more than it should for this thing to charge because the devs wanted it to be in real time or something i dont know. basically it sucks and this game sucks and forget you for generalizing my stuff.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:54:35 PM by DestroyerOfBlocks »

i mean you seem pretty upset about this game sooo
and what i meant was there is no need for you specifically to be upset as i have saved your soul from off hell

also no i do not hate rpgs

the way off implements the turn based combat thing is boring as stuff and should be a lesson on how to make your game a snore fest. the solution to every combat encounter is to spam your highest powered attack because the limiter on that is some sort of point system except you have so many of them and the save stations that recharge them are so frequent that it really doesn't matter how much you spam them; you will not run out. the reason you can spam every enemy to death so easily is because of the remarkable blandness in encounter variety. virtually all enemies are just bland punching bags who have one normal attack and one status inflicting thing. the status things are irrelevant and every standard encounter ends in 2-3 turns max because you just spam your strong attacks and its over. this includes the bosses who seem to be normal enemies but scaled up in hit points. add this with the standard random encounter system and the boredom from fights becomes ridiculous because of how many times you have to smash through these near mechanically identical starfishs just to get to the end of a room and do it again. its boring as stuff. the worst part is you can not attack immediately to cut down the encounter. instead you must wait for your attack bar thing to fill before doing an attack and that only feels like it artificially lengthens how long battles are because it takes more than it should for this thing to charge because the devs wanted it to be in real time or something i dont know. basically it sucks and this game sucks and forget you for generalizing my stuff.
and what i meant was there is no need for you specifically to be upset as i have saved your soul from off hell
ah i see

which game would you believe has good turn-based rpg combat

forget me if i know im no expert but anyone can tell off sucks

it seems like it was trying to include rpg combat for the sake of being on rpgmaker except in normal rpgs you level up your character and theres some feeling of progress or something but in off you really dont feel more powerful at any point in the game and you cant get attached to the batter because everything is so loving not explained that there is no character to get attached to. it really would have been better if they programmed like a few individual scripted encounters that all varied in mechanics instead of a bunch of the same random one with different sprites.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:03:37 PM by DestroyerOfBlocks »

i might do review threads for other pretentious rpgmaker stuff to find out which is the best in the future

i might do review threads for other pretentious rpgmaker stuff to find out which is the best in the future
undertale! undertale! undertale!

undertale! undertale! undertale!
was pretty forgetin good
the reason i played off was because people said it was like it

they lied

now i just have to play earthbound to see if they lied twice
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:46:11 PM by DestroyerOfBlocks »

alright im doing it

next up: space funeral

selecting items in the menu is ear piercing jesus loving christ
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:03:48 PM by DestroyerOfBlocks »

please make a megathread
your writing is oddly great

seconds into the game

what the forget
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:09:25 PM by DestroyerOfBlocks »

Another thing I liked about Off was the diction, the moves and attacks have very interesting names. It's not everyday that an enemy hits you with "vertical asymptote"

You could say that the game pissed him OFF.