Author Topic: "Block Trek" Star Trek Megathread - Toy Enterprise Model  (Read 65283 times)

Tonight I thought I'd discuss a bit about how RPs on the ship will work in the future.

The Block Trek RPs will be very events-driven, with a huge variety of random events being able to occur. This will be very useful for keeping players engaged and giving them things to do without:
1) Lots of confusion (eg. "i dont know what to do")
2) Thoughtless player-driven plot development (eg. "i am an ogre named han solo")
3) Senseless pretending (eg. "i stab you in the back with a lightsaber, even though there is no lightsaber item on this server")

The ship will be very large (14 decks) and will be very interactive. Simply exploring the ship could be sufficient alone to keep serious players entertained for hours.

The way the gamemode will work is this:
1) A new minigame round starts, with the ship in spacedock. Everyone has 2-5 lives (i'll pick a number for sure later on)
2) The appointed Captain goes to the conference room (Deck 10) with his senior officers, and they recieve a mission from Starfleet. The Captain has full control over how he wants the mission to proceed and how he wants to end it.
3) Once the mission has been laid out, the Captain may either broadcast the mission over intercom with all crew members, or assemble them in the briefing room (Deck 12-11) and tell them it in person.
4) The captain and his crew will then attempt to carry out the mission. Along the way, they may get involved in combat situations with enemy ships, or deal with internal problems such as random disasters and crew trouble (RDMing and random gunfights still equal a kick/ban).
5) The crew either complete the mission or fail.

If the ship is destroyed, either through sabotage, enemy ship fire, or self-destruct, then everyone loses, the mission will be considered a failure, and the minigame will be reset.
If the entire crew dies, the mission is considered an automatic failure and the minigame will automatically reset.
Alternatively, if the Captain dies, the minigame will be reset at the discretion of the user posing as Captain. He may choose to let the minigame continue with other players assuming command if he so wishes.
Even if the ship and crew aren't lost, the captain can still decide to call the mission off or declare it a failure.

The gamemode will have a tick system implemented for random events to happen every so often.
Ticks will be in 5-minute intervals. Each tick, a projectile chance machine will be engaged, acting as a sort of "dice roll" through which the game will decide what happens that tick. However, this chance machine won't engage when the ship is in spacedock, or aligned to a planet/station (to allow players to safely disembark and RP on the station/planet).

When in non-safe space, there will be small chances for each of the following to occur:
1) Enemy ship encounters (15% chance) [Exception: Will not happen when ship's HP is 40% or below]
2) Anomaly/stellar object/space weather encounter (15% chance)
3) Onboard accident/malfunction/disaster (15% chance)
4) Friendly ship encounters (5% chance)

Chance Event: Enemy Ship Encounters - Explained
Enemy ship encounters are one of my most anticipated features for the gamemode. It will make the bridge actually useful and fun to play on, not just a paperweight set.

When enemy ships are encountered, a series of projectile chance rolls will occur.
1) What rarity type of enemy ship it is
The initial roll will decide whether the ship encountered will be a common or uncommon ship.
Common Ship: 85% Chance
Rare Ship: 15% Chance
Whatever one is rolled, the next roll will then pick one of the common or rare ships from their respective pools to play against your ship.
2) What race/civilization of ship it is
After the rarity has been chosen, the race/civilization of the enemy ship will be chosen.
Common Ship Chances: 60% Klingon, 40% Orion Pirate
Rare Ship Chances: 70% Romulan, 20% Gorn, 10% Tholian
3)

Chance Event: Anomaly/Stellar Object/Space Weather Encounters - Explained

Its 4 PM and I have college classes I need to go to for now, so I will finish this post later. Hope this is interesting enough for now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:20:01 PM by Planr »

How big is Spacedock? May or may not make it my next modter build...

Also, your mission structure bears uncanny resemblance to the structure of Paranoia sessions, minus the debriefing at the end. Might I suggest having between zero and four (so that you don't know for certain if there are traitors this round) crew members as spies that win if the mission fails?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:34:27 PM by Magus »

How big is Spacedock? May or may not make it my next modter build...
I've never really seen any official scale measurements for any of the drydocks or space stations seen in Star Trek, but I'd say your average drydock, for scaling purposes with the ships here, would be about 400 studs wide, 300 bricks high, and 700 studs long. That's for inside ship space, of course.

Also, your mission structure bears uncanny resemblance to the structure of Paranoia sessions, minus the debriefing at the end. Might I suggest having between zero and four (so that you don't know for certain if there are traitors this round) crew members as spies that win if the mission fails?
That part of the gamemodes' function isn't computer driven but up to the players. If players want to be spies and sabotage, i'm all for it, but they'd make that decision on their own. The whole "mission failure" thing is more of a formality. Still, it ought to be pretty fun :)

if i some1 could just vote 1 or 2 times more in the poll so we can move on to the next one thatd be nice :F

also work has started on warp nacelles for ship.

your poll is missing battlefront

Working on the Lionheart's warp nacelles, will post a new screenshot dump when they're done and attached

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:10:26 AM by Planr »

Nacelle progress is coming along nicely. Should have it done within the next two to three days.

loving the quality of the entire thing. you really captured the shape of the ship, and some of the interior as well.

too bad its practically impossible to actually make it 1:1 scale.

Especially the 3x3F wedge. You hammer it on one solid corner of the brick and your hammer hit phases right through it and destroys stuff behind it. You hammer another corner where there is no brick, and the brick gets destroyed. General rotated the model for the 3x3f wedge but didn't rotate the hitbox, so it's completely screwed up (Oh, and you're gonna have to go and replace every single 3x3 wedge on your ship one-by-one manually, there's no way around this). This is a very important brick as it is used on the Kane's saucer plating on top to help create a circular feel, as well as being used throughout the interior of all three of my ships.
this is actually not true. there's more than a few ways you can fix this, one way being ingame (but your game might freeze up for a while), the other using find and replace in the .bls file. as long as you're replacing one brick with another, or only modifying all instances of one type of brick, this is relatively simple.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 03:50:21 AM by Conan »

loving the quality of the entire thing. you really captured the shape of the ship, and some of the interior as well.
Thanks man. I did diversify the interior here a bit, as while it's primarily TOS I also wanted to use some design cues from JJ-Trek. You'll see that primarily in the curved neck, the beer factory look of the Deuterium storage bay, and the ship's higher pitched red alert sound.

too bad its practically impossible to actually make it 1:1 scale.
It's definitely possible, just not practical. IMO, the amount of effort and time one invests in a ship should be proportionate to the usefulness/payoff it would return in subsequent gameplay on it. I build these ships for future play and fun with other players, not as achievement novelties, which is why I only build at 2/3 scale and no larger. The Kane class is somewhat smaller than the Constitution class at this scale, but even so the Kane is my limit. I can't see building a Constitution as a reasonable or practical investment.

Zealot and a few others have asked me to build the Enterprise D and Voyager, but I have to object every time as I simply dont see any reasonable payoff or practicality to building TNG era ships. Their massive sizes and complex curves and shapes makes them nearly impossible to build on Blockland. I personally like Voyager a lot, but it's a very non-blockland-friendly type ship to build. TOS ships have fairly simple and non complex designs, which is why I am only building ships from the TOS era.

A 1:1 scale ship would be so big that most players would get lost and couldn't navigate around inside. I've already gotten several complaints from server guests that even my 2/3 scale ship is "too big, i can't find my way around".

Another issue is that getting a sizable amount of people to play on a 1:1 scale Trek ship of most designs is nearly impossible. The only time I can ever see a ship of 1:1 scale size not seeming empty and lonely is if it was hosted as the annual new years party and gathered over a hundred players. Which wouldnt happen anyway because as I have come to realize, very few Blocklanders like or care about Star Trek, let alone have ever watched it, thus they'd disconnect out of disinterest. Most of the people who join my server are Star Wars fans.

this is actually not true. there's more than a few ways you can fix this, one way being ingame (but your game might freeze up for a while), the other using find and replace in the .bls file. as long as you're replacing one brick with another, or only modifying all instances of one type of brick, this is relatively simple.
I know what you mean, and I did try and succeed with modifying my saves at one point to "work" with the new wedge pack via find/replace, as the UI names are changed, but that isnt the issue with the 3x3 wedges. Their UI names did not change; their model rotated, while their hitbox collision and whatnot didn't. They are totally screwed up by nature on their "update", so even if you were to go and somehow rotate them in the save file, they'll still have the botched collision and hitboxing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:58:15 AM by Planr »

rotation is easy, though I understand what you mean by hitbox. ill take a look into it sometime

Lots of new content coming out real soon. Im in the late development stage of two new print packs, and the exterior bodyframe of the saucer and spine section are 95% done. I will post a new screenshot dump within the next week or so.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:02:56 PM by Planr »

NasaBoy3000 has done some amazing work so far on his TMP Constitution class USS Enterprise. This project he's undertaking is considerably difficult due to the shapes involved. Check it out!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:03:57 AM by Planr »

I hate to dredge up old posts but this was brought to my attention and I feel it necessary to respond, since you're calling my craftsmanship into question
As I often used to do with most of Comr4de's ships, I took his and made it much better.
I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself here. This is one of two instance where you have modified my ships to "improve" them. The other one was a ship that hadn't been used since 2013. So yeah, I guess there was plenty of room for improvement. What other ships did you directly modify my design? It wasn't the super exelion, because that was 100% your original work. It wasn't the Sunrise, you spent almost a year on that thing. It DEFINITELY wasn't that destroyer you were so confident with, considering that you even refused to look at the Salamis. It wasn't the Amanasel, since you didn't like how it looked in the first place. It wasn't the vindicator, otherwise you'd have a copy saved (and if you do, give me that ship back :( ). It wasn't the tantalus, because NOBODY had a copy of that. It wasn't the minotaur, because we abandoned that the moment we moved to hypercore. It wasn't the Kharinotov, Frank would've gutted you immediately. It wasn't the E25 or any of the derivative vessels, your computer could barely run it. And it DEFINITELY wasn't the Akagi, a ship that I still have the original of. In fact, the only ships I can really say you've modified are this one and the trotsky. Did I miss any?

Comr4de, I never said your ships were poorly built, nor did I insult your craftstmanship. I simply said I modified and improved upon your own ships.

I refitted and improved 4 of your ships - the Trotsky (which I actually modified twice, once in 2013 and once in 2015), the Anubis (which you flew my improved version of it, the Osiris, in this battle), the E-15 (which I turned into the E-25, an improvement upon your original miner), and your NX miniature. They were improvements - They had better weapons, shields, engines, everything. I also heavily improved your station on the French AMX server. And yeah sure, I really screwed up with the 210 million credits on that shop block on our default station we went with on Hypercore after the reset, but that was an accident on my part.

I've also done similar on Blockland. I did the engine rooms for two of your ships - the Lily and one other, the name of which escapes me (but I remember what it looked like). You wanted advanced engines using variables, so I did that job for you, and you thanked me for it. I also heavily modified your Fukov class destroyer to make my own version of it, the Arco.

Perhaps in hindsight "most" wasn't the best word to use when counting the number of your ships I have modified, but in all cases where I did so, the improvements were good and were welcomed. I never would've modified your ships to begin with if I didn't like them. I have no intention to instigate any feud with you. If what I said there came across as insulting (I don't see how it is, but w/e), you have my apologies.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:47:35 PM by Planr »

That's baseline anubis, Osiris was much later. Thanks for catching that, I had forgotten about that one.