Author Topic: What was the issue with JVS doors?  (Read 1014 times)

Legacy doors are gay as forget and I've read around posts that say that JVS is buggy as hell but how/why?

Problems with JVS doors:

• 16 events to open a door.
  • Horrible AIM sounds
  • A "jvs" tab instead of being in the special/interactive tab where they belong
  • Backwards loop structure that causes the brick loading times to increase for all bricks for each jvs door that you have installed.  If you have 50 JVS doors installed, you're looking at a 10x increase in loading times.  This alone is reason to remove it from the game permanently.  I regret not CRC failing when I discovered this issue years ago.
  • Overly complicated door blocking system that requires a taxing container radius search every time someone opens a door.  Door disabling can easily be implemented via toggleEventEnabled or setRayCastingEnabled.
  • Overly complicated ID restriction system that serves no purpose except providing yet another way for power starved pre-teens to give themselves special privileges over other users so they can have some semblance of empowerment in their otherwise impotent lives.

The 4th reason is pretty big.

another problem solved

hooray

also if have more than like 20 planted you're looking at huge frame drops

To be fair though, the ID restriction was capable of being very useful.

Liquid and I used to use it a lot to restrict access to areas in our roleplays.
For example, sherrifs/deputies had access to the gun-room or prison cells in our western rp, or we could give access to our control room for lights/music in our nightclub to trusted people.

Meant some people we trusted to not misbehave or abuse could have access to important functions without giving them admin so they could orb in.

Meant some people we trusted to not misbehave or abuse could have access to important functions without giving them admin so they could orb in.
This sentence contradicts itself.

To be fair though, the ID restriction was capable of being very useful.

Liquid and I used to use it a lot to restrict access to areas in our roleplays.
For example, sherrifs/deputies had access to the gun-room or prison cells in our western rp, or we could give access to our control room for lights/music in our nightclub to trusted people.

this

I remember when I joined my first fortwars and people used it to keep others out of their base

I wouldn't mind an event add-on that worked like this, but with trust instead of id restriction or something
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:23:50 AM by Lego lad »

Legacy doors are fantastic what are you smoking

The 4th reason is pretty big.
would it be possible to fix 4th reason

It would but as Togort mentioned before, the static shapes would lag your client.

This sentence contradicts itself.
No it doesn't.
I can trust a person enough that they can use a gun or change the lights/music.
I can also not trust that same person to administrate my server.

The ability to not richard around with the music doesn't necessarily overlap with the ability to avoid wrongfully banning people or deleting bricks.

And I also don't like handing over admin to lots of people.