Author Topic: Ice Castle - MotE application  (Read 4614 times)

Here is a build that I've been working on and off for about a month now. Today I decided to get it done. Since it's a pretty nice build in my opinion, I decided to submit it to MotE. Anyways it's a castle made of "Ice" that includes a water system, a main tower, 5 smaller towers, a spiral staircase in the main tower, and a lot of designs. It's made of around 19,000 bricks, so there shouldn't be much lag if any at all. If you wanted, this could be used for deathmatches also. So just give it an X/10, and leave any criticisms that you have.
Thanks.

Here's the save file. http://www.mediafire.com/?4dnu25dlyyj

Hot damn! Best of luck to you getting in. It's amazing.

Maybe a bit too much detail, but i like it

I dunno, I'm still ify about the whole thing. Its very detailed and ok, but the problem with it is its obviously macroed, no actual details. You just macroed a bunch of walls and towers then added some water and a stair case. I mean yes, it is a very epic build and is a worth while effort, just... like I said... there was no love put into it. I want to see something multiuseful, something I can load up for more than just looking at and having a few death matches in. Like for instance, and I was going to ask you to help me with this, lets build a western town (and maybe have the MMO in it.... lol) A little town is well dimensional and useful for that sort of thing. We can even leave buildings open for some one to use as a shop or something. Let me know what you think, otherwise 8/10.

I really don't know why you must join a clan though. I say we make one.

Thanks Worm!

I dunno, I'm still ify about the whole thing. Its very detailed and ok, but the problem with it is its obviously macroed, no actual details. You just macroed a bunch of walls and towers then added some water and a stair case. I mean yes, it is a very epic build and is a worth while effort, just... like I said... there was no love put into it. I want to see something multiuseful, something I can load up for more than just looking at and having a few death matches in. Like for instance, and I was going to ask you to help me with this, lets build a western town (and maybe have the MMO in it.... lol) A little town is well dimensional and useful for that sort of thing. We can even leave buildings open for some one to use as a shop or something. Let me know what you think, otherwise 8/10.

I still had to come up with the details though. I mean the castle is based on my ideas. It's not like I pressed a button that said "MAek mY cassle!11!!" I actually had to put time and this thing you call "love" into it. Also what's the point of building things over and over again if the original idea was going to be the same?

Thanks Worm!

I still had to come up with the details though. I mean the castle is based on my ideas. It's not like I pressed a button that said "MAek mY cassle!11!!" I actually had to put time and this thing you call "love" into it. Also what's the point of building things over and over again if the original idea was going to be the same?

Because I like it when a builder puts little details into it, and I kinda agree with the guy above me, its a little over detailed. But good. Just very eye irritating if you stare too long.... or is that just my screen... can't tell.

Because I like it when a builder puts little details into it, and I kinda agree with the guy above me, its a little over detailed. But good. Just very eye irritating if you stare too long.... or is that just my screen... can't tell.
It's the screen. It hurts when I blink...

It looks a bit heavily macro'd, and a bit plain, despite all the details. It all seems to blend together all TOO well. I dunno if you'll make it into MotE or not, but best of luck!

8.5/10.

In my opinion, it's good, but not good enough.

Also, if you're going to call it a castle, make it look like a castle maybe?

It looks a bit heavily macro'd, and a bit plain, despite all the details. It all seems to blend together all TOO well. I dunno if you'll make it into MotE or not, but best of luck!

8.5/10.

Exactly what I meant.... but you don't take me for cereal.

Macros + Slope Spam + Emptyness in the courtyard + Awesome color scheme + Neat layout + Original architecture + Well placed particle stuff = 9.00/10 (note, the first 9/10 I have given this year so far)

I don't like it, the second and third picture hurts my eyes.

It's painful to say it, but I agree with what people have said. Clearly you've spent time on it, and there are certain architectural designs in there that I like. However, as a whole, it's too much. The 'ramp spam' doesn't raise the quality, it diminishes it. Also, there doesn't appear to be any fine details on the interior courtyard besides the fountains, but even there are too many fountains.

What I believe you've done, as people have said, is put too much detail into the structure. I find the best way to approach detail, is to leave the structure relatively plain, and then add detail to everything else. That way it looks less like spam, and more like a complex sprawling building, rather than a giant pincussion.

With all this said, It's still a very nice build, but you have to be critical when chucking it up as a clan application. I've been on this game for about 2 weeks and I've made a ton of detailed builds, but not one has actually given me the pure satisfaction required to submit it as an application. I only will when I'm ready.

8.7 / 10   -  My first ever rating, well done.

Don't listen to these heathens. They complain if theres no detail, then complain if theres too much. They complain if its macro'd, then will mock someone else who says he built it all by hand when "haha, you could have used macro's". Theres no winning...

Macro'd or not, the initial sections must be designed built and recorded. So, you save a bit of time making wall sections, or maybe the 4 corner turrets, or the finials (sp?) on the staircases. I'd macro them too rather than build them over and over, its common sense.

Regardless of the macroing, the detail is good. Its a pretty unique design too (in some respects) and overall i was impressed when i looked at it. 8/10.

As for critique... Well, it would have been better if it wasn't all based around a simple square castle. Everyone makes them square when you could have a round section in one corner, side buildings, outhoses, stables etc. Build some, extra towers, expand it a bit. You "could" also embelish around the place, add some extra small items like tables, stained glass windows maybe, lights/chadaliers from ceilings. A splash of colour around would add to it too i think but don't ruin the "ice" theme.

8/10 as is. 9/10 with a little more work (no-one gets a 10, even the Titanic is a 9.9 :) )